On top of everything, no matter what form of the best aquarium decorations you are presently searching for, what is more crucial is to carefully pick premium quality products that won’t pose any hazard to your fish tank dwellers. In other words, only consider getting decors for fish tanks that are particularly designed for that purpose.
In reality, it could be intricate to figure what appropriate decors for aquariums are because there are lots of them readily available on the market and they generally consist of corals, caves, rocks, driftwoods and the like. For that reason, you can end up buying worthy investment if you choose a credible brand.
Whatever your choices are, always see to it that the décor would not negatively affect the tank water chemistry in order for your pet fish to delight in a safe, clean and natural-like haven. In short, go for the ones that are manufactured for fish tank keeping and embellishing only.
The good news for you today is that if you are seeking for some top quality options, the following aquarium decorations reviews and some buying guides tackled in this article can give you some informative insight to significantly assist you get just what you are fishing for.
Table of Contents
- Best Aquarium Decoration Reviews of 2021
- 1. Penn-Plax Nickelodeon SpongeBob Aquarium Ornament
- 2. Penn Plax Squidward Easter Island Home Aquarium Ornament
- 3. Marina Décor
- 4. Penn-Plax Wizard’s Castle Aquarium Decoration
- 5. NICREW Aquarium Volcano Ornament Kit
- 6. Miracliy Aquarium Decorations Castle
- 7. CNZ Fish Tank Decoration Ornament Artificial Plastic Plant Green
- 8. Nature’s Ocean Coral Base Rocks for Aquarium
- 9. Hygger Betta Log Resin Hollow Tree Trunk Ornament
- 10. Otterly Pets Plastic Plants for Fish Tank Decorations
- What to Look for When Buying Aquarium Decorations
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Aquarium Decoration Reviews of 2021
1. Penn-Plax Nickelodeon SpongeBob Aquarium Ornament
Are you hunting for unique aquarium decorations that won’t put a big hole in your pocket? Then, you have come to the right place, you can give this cool décor design a try and provide your pet fish a great spot where it can hide and enjoy life inside the tank.
This ornament is harmless for both marine and freshwater applications. It is built with a solid base so it is not prone to hovering around once you submerged it in water. Its size is good enough to fit instantly in nearly any home aquarium. This does not require high maintenance since you only have to wipe it down thoroughly and wash it off with warm water.
What makes this a wise pick is that it is specifically made to serve as a very ideal accent to any fish tank no matter what the size is. Please note that it is not recommended to use chemical-based cleaning agents when cleaning it so as not to harm your fish.
Howbeit, a few downsides that go with this fish tank décor are its easily fading color and the edges of this adornment must be thoroughly sanded to avoid causing harm to your pet fish.
2. Penn Plax Squidward Easter Island Home Aquarium Ornament
Large aquarium decorations are definitely a must to have if you keep a large tank where your most precious pet fish swim, play and move around. It is good to know that this tank décor comes with a decent size where your fish can comfortably move around and enjoy their new breeding place.
This is quite easy to set up and it does not shake once positioned properly. It is an eye-catching item that all kids will love. As a matter of fact, this can be one of the best presents that you can ever give to a kid who is into fish or aquarium keeping.
Interestingly, its price tag is quite cheap considering its cool and distinctive appeal. This makes a great hub if you are currently keeping a betta fish.
Be that as it may, the safety of this décor is a little questionable because it seems that the paint is toxic and is prone to getting peeled easily which could be dangerous to fish and the eye holes and internal edges of this adornment must be properly sanded to avoid fish injury or from getting trapped.
3. Marina Décor
This is a little pricey aquarium décor but it looks classy and real. It seems to be more ideal for turtle and reptile setups where it would not be completely submerged in water.
Aquarium keepers need to have this décor slightly sanded particularly its edges to avoid harming fish. It can serve as the focal point of the fish tank and for sure your pet fish would love playing and swimming through this cool décor. This could look more wonderful under a radiant LED lighting system.
This décor is capable of instantly sinking and anchoring to the underneath section of the tank and it could bubble a little for a while; however, it appears impeccably organic when immersed in water. This is practical to use for larger tanks as it could make a fascinating piece and ravishing addition inside the aquarium.
Nonetheless, two minor issues that you need to take a closer look at if you decide to buy this tank décor are its weird smell once unboxed and when added in the tank; besides, this adornment appears to be more susceptible to fungus problems.
4. Penn-Plax Wizard’s Castle Aquarium Decoration
Have you given up searching for realistic aquarium decorations? Well, there is no reason for you to frown if you check out the exciting design and features of this fish tank adornment. It is big enough and capable of adding a stellar attraction inside the aquarium.
By the look of it, you can see that this décor could encourage visual interest for you and your pet fish. This could add a very exquisite adornment that you, your fish and guests would love glancing at. If you want your fish to stay active and happy, this castle can help them fight off boredom since they could have a place to play, move and swim around.
Indeed, you need to be mindful of the sharp edges found on the openings of this décor that need to be sanded smooth and there is a tendency for algae to accumulate on the top tower of the castle so thorough and periodic cleaning is a must.
5. NICREW Aquarium Volcano Ornament Kit
Perhaps, you are wondering where to buy extra-large aquarium decorations and if these are ideal choice worth purchasing. This volcano tank décor is large enough yet it won’t make the aquarium look congested.
Once you purchased the kit, it already consists of the airline tubing, bubble maker with built-in LED light, power adapter and the décor. This is built using harmless resin that won’t bring about any hazard to your aquarium inhabitants and to the environment. It is undemanding to set up and it works quite reliably in improving the artistic appeal of the tank.
It is essential to be insightful of the minus points linked with this tank décor and these consist of its unreliable durability since it could get easily damaged and for the volcano to work, you need to buy an air pump separately.
6. Miracliy Aquarium Decorations Castle
Sometimes, it could be time-consuming to decide which freshwater or saltwater aquarium décor to select from considering there are tons of choices that you can encounter in both local stores and online shops. If you wish to narrow down your options, you can scout out what this tank décor has in store for you.
Once you have this décor installed in your tank, your pet fish would look marvelous weaving through the openings. It is designed to have dynamic colors and the acrylic castle is manufactured using sturdy acrylic material. The paint job and details of this piece are out of this world. It could surely make the aquarium look like a great view that you would you adore.
Two important lapses that need to be checked thoroughly if you are planning to get this tank décor are its larger than expected size and it seems made to be lopsided since there is a tiny spot on the bottom on one edge of the décor that was not totally solid. Be sure to check the dimension of your tank first before buying it.
7. CNZ Fish Tank Decoration Ornament Artificial Plastic Plant Green
The best fish tank decorations are the ones that look natural even though they are artificial. Just like this ornament, it looks like a real water plant that you could not even tell that it is manufactured using plastic material. It is exciting to purchase something as good as this for a very cheaper price tag.
You will find this tank décor a practical piece to have since it helps make the aquarium look livelier and it won’t put your pet fish’s health at risk. This does a great job when it comes to breaking up lines of sight in a bigger-sized fish tank. Surprisingly, it would be confusing to determine if it is real or not because of its natural look and style.
The only things that give this tank décor some negative feedbacks are its pale-colored stem that does not blend well with the rest of the décor and some leaves are deformed.
8. Nature’s Ocean Coral Base Rocks for Aquarium
While it is obviously true that these cool fish tank decorations are overpriced, still you cannot deny the reality that they are absolute value for the money. They could help transform the tank look like a natural and ocean-like environment that your pet fish will thank you for.
To boot, these are great for many different uses aside from aquariums since they could also be used for growing live corals, developing live rocks and they are perfect pick for coral farming. They are also supreme in terms of being accustomed to the live habitat and won’t in any way have a negative impact in terms of cycling your tank. Please note that they need to be soaked in deep water in order to effectively avoid leeching.
These coral base rocks seriously requires thorough rinsing because they are loaded with grit and dust that must be removed completely to avoid any problem once they are added in reefs. And, it is priced expensively which could certainly hurt your budget. These are a couple of the minor issues that need to be highly considered before making the final shopping decision.
9. Hygger Betta Log Resin Hollow Tree Trunk Ornament
Whether it is for saltwater or freshwater aquarium decorating purposes, this tank décor would be a great choice that won’t put your hard-earned money to waste. This is one of the top-rated picks for small and medium size aquariums that need enchanting ornaments to entertain various fish species residing inside them.
If you are going to observe this log, you will see that there are holes which are large enough for your pet fish to fit through. You will love the sight of seeing your aquatic friend exploring and enjoying its new cave. With this added to your tank, you will be amazed of the aquarium’s transformation.
Two factors that you need to be watchful of are the several rough spots found on the inner and outer section of the log and the inner section of the log comes with very sharp edges and sharp protrusions that need sanding to smooth them.
10. Otterly Pets Plastic Plants for Fish Tank Decorations
If you prefer affordable, natural-looking and wondrous marine or freshwater aquarium décor, these vibrantly-colored plants would absolutely look spectacular inside your tank.
They are good at transforming a dull fish tank into a colorful and lively environment that not only you but also your pet fish will be crazy about. These are toxic-free, are not prone to rot and rust and allow your aquatic buddies to swim, play, roam and move freely.
If you are presently looking after larger aquariums, these are perfect picks. They are designed with solid and steady ceramic foundation so they won’t hover around the aquarium. These are not that high maintenance and works supremely when it comes to providing a comfortable shelter for your pet fish.
These plants are really awesome. However, they can also cause the pH and ammonia levels in the tank to rise up. Besides, these could also make the tank look dusky and prone to discoloration.
What to Look for When Buying Aquarium Decorations
When making the final buying decision for your aquarium decors, the following considerations can be of big help to especially aid you pick the most appropriate product for you:
- Calculate the size of your fish tank. For sure, you wouldn’t prefer to make your aquarium look crowded as this would only suffocate your pet fish and can make the tank look messy. Only buy the ones that are adequate enough to provide impressive overall look for the aquarium and can still offer sufficient space for your live creatures to move, play and swim around inside the tank.
- Once you are already well aware of the size of your fish tank, the next thing for you to decide on is the theme you prefer to design in your aquarium. Over-decorating your tank would only make it look cheap so be sure that you have a set theme in mind prior to buying the decors. Just concentrate on a specific theme to avoid clutter.
By the same token, the color of your adornments would be the ones to set the theme for your fish tank. If you wish to come up with a natural-looking theme for your aquarium, live green-colored plants and pea gravel make ideal options when it comes to color.
Meanwhile, vibrant shades as well as neon hues could make a wilder, flashy and more captivating look to certain spots in your fish tank. Once you have made up your mind on a certain theme, carefully pick the color of the embellishments and accessories to complement the overall feel of your aquarium.
- Check out the proper height of fish tank elements. To do this, you can start by separating the aquarium into 3 sections: bottom, center and top zones. The reason behind this is because fish are more inclined to spending more of their time in any of these 3 sections; hence, it is imperative to keep some rooms free for each zone.
Take into account that fish tend to feel safer and more comfortable if the decors adhere to some sort of structure. See to it to balance the space available in a fair approach. This way, it will be easier to consolidate embellishments as well as accessories without making your pet fish feel distressed.
- Think about the color of your pet fish. You can complement or ruin the entire look of the aquarium if wrong color is selected. If the color of your décor and your fish don’t blend well, what do you think will be the end result of your decorations? You can ask for some advice or suggestions or look for some samples if you are not that adept at matching colors.
- e) Do you keep active fish? Super active fish tend to have a remarkably superior oxygen uptake as compared to inactive ones. Thus, if you are taking care of such fish, oxygen-producing adornments such as bridges, underwater chests and bubble chests could assist in offering generous amount of air so this helps in keeping your pet fish to stay highly active and healthy.
- f) Keep an eye on sharp edges. Adornments such as artificial plants come with sharp edges at times. Evidently, these could badly endanger your pet fish through creating injuries, scratching their scales and making them prone to serious infections. When selecting embellishments for your fish tank, make certain that you stay away from any options that come with sharp edges. You can still beautify your tank without endangering the safety of your pet fish.
- g) Mull over on focal points. When adding adornments in your aquarium, it could be practical to choose 1 or 2 focal points. Such points must be capable of being more prominent among the other decors to complement your overall design.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is an aquarium decoration? How does it work?
Fish tank decors consist of natural and artificial adornments that are specifically designed for marine and freshwater applications. These embellishments usually consist of different backdrops and substrate utilized with tanks. Decors are generally labeled as for fish only and others are for fish only with live rocks.
When it comes to reef tanks, corals commonly serve as their very own kind of aquarium adornment. Decors for aquariums work by acting as safe shelters for many fish species. For instance, live rocks serve as organic bio natural filter and are not only meant to offer aesthetics to the overall look of the tank. They teem with various sorts of macro and microorganisms plus other bacteria that execute a good job of cleaning the tank water.
In substance, the decors utilized in your fish tank could affect not solely the manner your aquarium looks but also how your pet fish unite with the elements in the aquarium. Adornments for tanks could offer your pet fish with a lot of zones where they could hide and some spots that they could consider their territory.
What are the different types of aquarium decorations?
Aquarium decors comprise or organic materials that include wood, rocks and corals. These decors are usually exploited in setups that have been arranged to appear as organic as feasible. Substrate and plants that are identical to sandy bottoms are also used.
In line with this, there are also artificial decors used for fish tanks and they look realistic as well. Examples of fake tank adornments include coral replicas, artificial plants and anemones that are quite famous for marine applications. If you are a novice in keeping a saltwater tank, it is highly suggested to begin with a fish only tank and utilize artificial anemones and corals as decors. This is because anemones and corals are difficult to look after and they come with very specific requirements.
Apart from organic or organic-looking tank decors, there are also broad array of tank adornments that would naturally be uncovered in ocean, rivers and lakes. Examples of these include shipwrecks, bones, sculls and a lot more.
Bear in mind that it is a must to use decors for fish tanks that are specifically manufactured or designed for aquariums. Go for saltwater-safe options if you are currently keeping a marine tank. The same goes if you are keeping a freshwater tank; opt for freshwater-safe decors to avoid the emergence of hazardous organisms, the possibility of injuries and other unfortunate incidents.
Why do you need aquarium decorations? (Benefits)
Have you ever imagined how an aquarium would look like if it is not adorned with organic or inorganic decors? For sure, one of the joys of aquarium keeping is adorning it with flashy, adorable and impressive embellishments that can add more aesthetics to the overall appearance of the fish tank.
However, aside from beautifying your aquarium with natural or artificial decors, buying some aquarium decorations can provide you with a number of benefits that would definitely delight you and make your fish keeping experience more thrilling, pleasurable and relaxing.
Here are some of the perks that go with decorating your fish tank:
- Aquarium decors provide your tank a livelier, stunning and more inviting look. This won’t only be enjoyed by beholders but also will be beneficial for your fish tank dwellers.
- Natural decors offer more engrossing and realistic outcomes. It provides an ocean-like view whenever you glance at your aquarium.
- Some organic adornments such as live plants would help enhance the overall condition in the aquarium. For instance, live organic plants perform a superb job of increasing oxygen content inside the tank.
- Inorganic adornments tend to last long since these do not disintegrate like live organic plants.
- Manufactured decors are more plain sailing to clean.
- Since inorganic embellishments were not derived from the environment, they won’t in any manner affect sustainability.
- Artificial decors give aquarium keepers the chance to enjoy more options in terms of sizes and colors.
- Decorating an aquarium serves as a very fun-filled experience, can effectively combat stress and can be a very great bonding activity among families and friends. Of course, this highly relies on your own sense of style.
- Decors specifically designed for tank water use do not contain any content that could have bad effect to the chemistry of aquarium water.
- These are generally sold at reasonable price tags so everyone can freely pick the style and design of their choice without the need to spend extravagantly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most trusted aquarium decoration brands?
Admittedly, it could be overwhelming to make the final buying decision when you are offered with limitless choices to select from. Since you can come across lots of different decorations for aquariums, it could be sometimes confusing which one to get because nearly all of them look stunning, are not that expensive and designed with vibrant and attractive colors that are too good to resist.
On the other hand, not all of them are created equal. Each of them comes with pros and cons. So, for you to end your agonies whether to get a certain fish tank décor or not, it is wise to do a little research regarding the manufacturer of the product.
As you know, when a product is manufactured by a world-class and famous brand, the product is more likely filled with incredible features making it a reliable and functional product to invest in.
To give you some ideas of top-rated brands when it comes to fish tank décors, the following can be your safe options:
- Nature’s Ocean
How to set up?
Are you wondering how to properly set up various decors for aquariums? Then, you may consider the following guides to correctly set up some decorations in your aquarium:
- Position larger plants and other adornments toward the edges and rear sections. Meanwhile, the shorter decors must be placed toward the front section. There should be enough space where your pet fish can freely roam, swim and play around.
- Utilize taller plants or adornments to conceal air lines, fish tank heaters, and lift tubes and other undesired items of the aquarium.
- Be sure to utilize fewer variants of decors to make the aquarium appear more natural as possible. Exploit groupings of the identical form of plants and readjust them with plant groupings with a distinct texture or color in order to form a more attractive space.
- It is highly suggested to utilize smaller rocks or plants to obscure the edges of water wheels, ceramics, castles, plastic adornments, resin, and volcanoes to make them appear more organic and authentic inside the aquarium.
- Choose one or two focal plants or adornments and position them a little off in the middle inside the aquarium. Centered decors usually appear awkward or constrained.
- Always set a nice backdrop. This could offer a very firm or dark wall for your pet fish and this could aid them feel more comfortable. The backdrop is also meant to aid conceal pipes, cords, filters and tubes that could discredit the entire look of your aquarium.
Fish tanks absolutely provide peaceful scenarios and it cannot be denied that the relaxing sounds of bubbling water that harmonize with any home’s adornment style is simply irresistible. As the main attraction for any space or in any room at home, aquarium keepers could place large aquarium adornment pieces inside the tank to help make it engrossing and be capable to provide your pet fish a safe and comfortable spot to hide.
How to care & clean?
Except for live organic plants, regardless of the type of tank adornments you will use, you will be required to clean it on a regular mode. A few basic tools are necessary to tidy the aquarium and the adornments as well.
How to properly clean and care for tank decors?
- Use scrub brushes that come with soft bristles, also consider purchasing gravel wash kit and pad scrub pads that are soft to use when cleaning the tank decors.
See to it to buy products that are specifically designed for your aquaria and consider the fact that you need to be extra careful when cleaning acrylic aquaria because these are more prone to getting scratched easily as compared to glass aquaria. Do not utilize rough pad or rough brush on an aquarium made of acrylic.
- Gently scrub off the algae buildup and other accumulated dirt particles on the aquarium’s walls or edges. When scrubbing adornments, you may utilize hard-bristled brush. On the other hand, when dealing with the tank’s walls, you can use soft pads that are designed with long handles.
- At the time the algae buildup and other plied up dirt were thoroughly scrubbed off, it is high time to replace the tank water.
- When cleaning the substrate, the water should also be removed.
When cleaning the substrate, consider using a gravel wash tube that is designed with a bendable hose that has the capability to go easily into a canister. This tube as well as the tube suction is meant to clean up the gravel and lift the dusky water, debris and fish excrement by means of the tube and into the canister.
- The frequency of cleaning the gravel will largely rely on many factors. Consider the number of fish you are keeping in the tank, ask yourself if you are guilty of overfeeding your fish and if you added live organic plants in the tank that are prone to losing leaves.
Please take into consideration that although your aquarium comes with exceptional quality of water, it is indispensable to execute tiny gravel washes on a weekly mode in order to get rid of excess debris, food waste and fish excrement.
Basically, tidying the adornments in your aquarium will help keep your fish tank dwellers active, happy and healthy. And, a clean tank will always be quite impressive to behold.
What is the warranty?
Over and above, buying products that are supported by different forms of warranties are the best choices because they provide every customer the kind of protection they deserve whenever they go shopping locally or online.
It is a must to opt for aquarium decors that come with warranties so that in case you encounter some issues with them, you can address the problem right away and have the solution you especially require after receiving the item.
This is why buying from trustworthy brands is a wise thing to do because they generally sold products that offer various types of warranties that you can avail of.
Where to buy?
By happy chance, decorations specifically made for adorning aquariums are quite easy to look for. You can easily find them in neighboring fish supply stores, specialty pet stores or aquarium shops in your region. Choose to visit bigger stores as they can commonly offer you with a number of options to check out.
If you prefer to look for fish tank decors online, the best online shopping site where you can be provided with numerous choices to explore is Amazon. Here, first-class brands are found and at times these can’t be found on local stores. You can pick from limitless aquarium decors that would look stunning in the current fish tank you are keeping.
In conclusion, there is actually no correct or wrong answer when it comes to investing in the best aquarium decorations. What matters the most in the end is that you select from highly acclaimed brands and pick premium quality products that are specifically designed and manufactured for decorating fish tanks. This way, you can be guaranteed that they are harmless to your pet fish and live plants.
As clearly discussed in this post, make it a habit to opt for fish tank decors that won’t have bad effect to the tank water chemistry. In doing so, you can freely choose whatever styles or designs you prefer since they won’t pose any health risk to the live creatures dwelling inside the aquarium.
Consider taking a closer look at the fish tank decors recommended above and thoroughly examine each product’s features, pros and cons. Once you precisely check out the advantages and disadvantages of each option, it would be a lot easier for you to narrow down your options and you’re more likely to end up making a meaningful final buying decision that you won’t ever regret.
Please note that when it comes to fish tank decors, the aesthetics aspect of the product is not the only factor that must be taken seriously. Be sure to go over the other vital information detailed in this article to make your shopping experience more worthwhile and something to be happy about.