Aside from various fish tank accessories, water-clearing products and equipment, one of the essential devices that you must consider getting for your aquarium is none other than the best aquarium light timer. Undoubtedly, digital outlet timers are deemed as fish tank necessities these days which makes them a must-have.
These are comparably less pricey and, as a matter of fact, they could help you save more money since these can exceptionally manage the lighting needs of your fish tank in an automatic mode.
Besides, these are quite dependable to utilize as they play a vital role in warding off the sprout of algae since your aquarium light is turned on for a longer period of time. The truth is, light timers aren’t just meant for aesthetic purposes. These are quite indispensable if you are the type of aquarium keeper who’s always on vacation or always out for business trips.
If your aquarium is equipped with a digital light timer, then you won’t have worries even if you’re out of town most of the time. You can have the peace of mind that even if you’re far away, your aquarium pets and aquatic plants will be free of any danger since they are secured with appropriate and reliable lighting conditions.
Table of Contents
Most Trusted Aquarium Light Timer Reviews 2023
1. Century Indoor Outlet Timer
Without question, this fish tank timer can make a difference in terms of automating your dwelling place or workplace. You can simply turn lamps, Christmas trees, small appliances and other electronic devices on and off with the aid of a manageable timer. Basically, this could adapt well with LED bulbs, compact fluorescent lighting as well as other small appliances.
Just like other modern light timers at present, this is not difficult to use provided that you comply with the manual instructions provided in the package once purchased. This also allows users to outline their own schedules. Please note that the settings will restate day-to-day once it is set up and plugged in.
Furthermore, the timer pins are solidly fastened; therefore, they won’t be misplaced or get lost. This model is thoughtfully adapted to be utilized in the top outlet of an average outlet pair. The housing of this light timer is situated upward in order to provide easy on-and-off switch access for users. Also, unlike other versions, this does not produce any irking buzzing sound that may be quite distracting.
All the same, the switches are a bit stiff at first but this does not hinder their good function. Moreover, this model is slightly smaller as compared to other standard mechanical timers available nowadays.
- No trouble to install and operate
- One great way to instantly automate your home or workplace
- Highly rated for its compatibility to various appliances, LED bulbs and compact fluorescent lighting
- Enables users to lay out their own schedule
- Ensures much needed convenience and reliability
- Switches are slightly stiff at first
- A bit smaller than standard mechanical timers
2. BN-LINK Surge Protector
This topnotch fish tank light timer is ideal for plenty of uses particularly in a daylight cycle for aquariums, live aquatic plants as well as reptile enclosures. In the same way, it is equipped with a total of four outlets that are regulated by the timer wherein four outlets are often on.
What makes this model safer and more reliable to use is that all eight outlets are entirely safeguarded by the surge protector and it is also furnished with a circuit breaker switch in order to provide more safety.
If you thoroughly inspect it, you’ll unveil that the outlets are exquisitely distanced from each other which makes plugging all types of distinctly shaped plug a lot easier into them. Also, this ensures that obstructing other outlets is less likely to happen. Hence, you can utilize all 8 outlets.
If you opt for a great option that works adroitly in automating fish tank lighting, then this is it. The power strip is plain sailing to utilize with a timer. There is no complicated installation process for you to deal with and it can satisfy your fish tank lighting requirements.
Anyhow, this light timer comes with a little bit of annoying noise that seems endless. So, if you are a light sleeper, this could disturb you especially at night. And, as compared with other models, it is a bit heavier and wider than other models.
- Furnished with state-of-the-art time function features
- Designed with premium quality colored LED indicator lights
- Secured and reliable to operate and utilize
- Built with override switch intended to keep the timer outlet row on in a manual mode
- Equipped with updated black pins
- Comes with endless rattling sounds
- Slightly heavier and broader as compared to other models
3. Fosmon Mechanical Timer
This LED aquarium lighting with a timer works prominently in regulating the lights of fish tanks and other uses. It is not a problem to set up and you can effortlessly set the dial to the present time and it’s as simple as ABC to plug in. this is equipped with 2 outlets that are meant for users to possible control 2 devices.
Likewise, this is built with 24-hour programmable timer outlet with an accession of half an hour and is furnished with dual outlets for users to possibly plug in 2 different appliances at the same time.
This is not solely for fish tanks use; it could also do a wonderful job for lamps, humidifiers, TVs, sprinkler systems, holiday lights and terrariums. As you can see, it is a multipurpose device that makes it a great product worth considering.
Surprisingly, if you’re on holiday, you could set this device on lamps around your residence to click on and off. This actually functions more excellently as compared to dusk to dawn type of timers.
Notwithstanding, this light timer device comes with manual instructions that could be a little baffling but once figured out, it works well. Also, this commonly requires users to do the resetting each period the time dial is turned to the set time.
- Ideal for minimizing energy and utility costs
- Notably activates lights on and off in an automatic mode
- Especially designed to serve various purposes
- Works as a top quality 24-hour programmable timer outlet
- Equipped with a total of 48 push pins
- Slightly confusing installation instructions
- Requires resetting each time dial is turned to preferred time
4. Century Mechanical Timer
If you are hunting for aquarium lighting timers that are designed with single outlet timers and are not complicated to use and understand, then Century 24-Hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer can give you that. You won’t have any trouble setting it up and you don’t need to spend extravagantly just to get it. You can actually operate it immediately in minutes without any sweat.
This model is designed with mechanical buttons intended to set the time easily. This is what makes it more convenient to use as compared to other mechanical timers that operate with the aid of removable pins. You will be less likely to misplace or lose pins since these are fused into the device.
Starting this light timer is a piece of cake as well. You only need to modify the dial in order to specify the present time and push down all of the buttons between the on and off times. Then, the last method for you to do is to twist the switch to ‘TIMER’ and you can get started right away.
However, this device generates a little noise and it is not possible to modify the different schedules for different days.
- No sweat to set up and can be done in minutes
- Comes with easy-to-understand design
- Risk-free and dependable to utilize
- Does not come with loose parts unlike other models
- Turns your device on and off in an automatic method
- Incapable of adjusting different schedules for different days
- May produce slight buzzing sound
5. Odyssea Aquarium Light Timer
If you’re going to closely observe the entire design of this aquarium timer, you will discover that this version is undemanding to install and utilize. Unlike other models, it does not get lost along the way when operating it. It is equipped with two buttons when installing it.
In addition, when it comes to its installation process, you can instantly alter the hour up to the minute that you prefer the time to turn on or off the light. In case, you get so confused about how to set it up; you can rely on the manual instructions. In so doing, you’ll get the idea that the process is actually straightforward.
It is worth noting that this serves as a very convenient approach to controlling your fish tank light. Thus, even if you are always out for work or business, then you can depend on it to take care of your aquarium lighting needs. The truth is, it is nice to have a device that can automatically manage your fish tank lighting requirements.
On the other hand, this best aquarium light timer is limited to use as it merely works with a few specific models. And, there are instances when it incoherently halts working. These are a few of the weak points you need to be aware of.
- Makes fish tank lighting a breeze
- Smooth sailing to utilize
- Comes with reasonably priced selling cost
- Quite uncomplicated to set up
- Adept at controlling blue and white LEDs separately
- Only works with specific models
- Has the tendency to randomly stop functioning
6. NICREW Aquarium Light Timer
This LED aquarium light with a timer is a great deal to go in for. Its entire construction is proudly premium quality and you will definitely love its slim profile design. Such a brand is highly acclaimed for having the capability to last for many years. They are also energy-efficient since they can provide more light without the need to use more electricity. Obviously, this is quite advantageous on your part for you can save more money.
If you are keeping low light planted tanks, then this is the top-drawer choice for you. This is a gilt-edge version mainly because it could ensure a natural day and night cycle for your fish tank dwellers. This is equipped with internal memory that saves your pre-arranged settings in the event that a power interruption takes place. This turns your fish tank lamps on and off in an automatic mode by simply setting it once.
Be that as it may, this LED light timer was not built with a safety stop or stop gap which may be troubling when moving the light when cleaning or feeding, or when maneuvering the handles to modify the length. To boot, it does not come with hanging hardware. This won’t be a serious case though if you won’t use it for hanging purposes.
- Built with superior quality construction and slim profile
- Capable of providing more light for less electricity
- Especially designed to last for more years
- Ideal choice for low light planted tanks
- Can provide a natural day and night cycle for your aquarium dwellers
- Does not come with hanging hardware
- Not designed with safety stop or stop gap
7. Century 7 Day Programmable Timer
This aquarium light with a built-in timer is designed with dual outlets that users can instantly install to manage long periods of consumption. You can decide whether or not to set the timer for merely a few minutes or longer hours.
Apart from this, the such device also allows users to select their own scheduled day setting or decide on the preset from the device. It does a wonderful job at allowing easy shifts from normal hours to daylight savings without any struggle.
The instructions were user-friendly so dealing with the programming was made a lot easier and more convenient. Plus, there is no need to deal with manual operations since the timer is digital. You simply specify the hours you prefer and from there it will start working on your behalf when you’re away.
If you want a safe, reliable, customizable and versatile type of light timer device, then you may end your search now because the right option is already here for you.
Howbeit, this light timer comes with flimsy reset buttons. And, what’s more, inconvenient about it is that anytime you prefer to change the current setting, you will need to reset the whole unit which means you have to begin from scratch again.
- Known for its customizability and versatility
- Equipped with long-lasting battery backup
- Exhaustively controlled for safety and quality
- Easy switch from normal hours to daylight savings
- Can work in any indoor area at home or workplace
- Comes with flimsy reset buttons
- Requires resetting the entire unit when changing current settings
8. Coralife ESU Aqualight Digital
This aquarium timer switch works ideally to activate aquarium lights on and off automatically. Gone were the days when you needed to worry about power outages and luckily this device is equipped with a battery to conserve the cycle programs and time. The outlet enables distinct outlets to be set for distinct periods of time.
In addition to this, the programming of this light timer is quite up front; nevertheless, if it was done at an incorrect on and off cycle, this may possibly take 24 hours to reset. This seems to be an upgraded version of an analog timer and it’s a great product to spend for the price.
This device functions as a digital alarm clock that is furnished with a separate button cell battery which is intended for the clock. It may take roughly 15 minutes for the programming to be set. But, the process may take longer if you don’t adhere to the instructions accordingly.
So, if you hope to control your aquarium lights properly and make managing day and night lights quite a piece of cake to administer, then it is practical to invest in this device. You can save more power and can ensure that your fish tank inhabitants get the necessary light they especially require even when you’re too busy.
In any case, this light timer’s seven cycles do not correspond quite well with the day of the week. Also, only the yellow outlets seem to be programmable while others are not.
- Built with digital power center that comes with a digital LCD display
- Can guarantee seven time cycles each day 7 days a week
- Easy to install and reliable to use
- Equipped with a battery backup system
- Programming can be set in minutes with correct instructions
- Only yellow outlets are programmable
- 7 cycles don’t correspond with the day of the week
What To Look For When Buying An Aquarium Light Timer
There are a number of alternatives when it comes to lighting a fish tank. It could be dangerous to add excessive light as this could make your tank more prone to immense algae accumulation. And, eliminating algae from the fish tank is absolutely a tedious task. Meanwhile, if you add too little light, your corals, live aquatic plants, and fish won’t thrive properly.
That said, it is just right to consider various factors first prior to purchasing a light timer for your fish tank. Before spending, you may consider asking yourself some questions such as:
- Are you going to utilize the light timer to control the aquarium lights automatically?
- Are you purchasing lights to be used in a reef tank?
- How much is the price? What about the device’s expected lifespan?
- Is the light timer intended to be used for a planted fish tank?
These are valuable questions you need to mull over first before you opt for the final decision. Light timers for aquariums come in various brands, features and functions. So, it is best if you buy the one that would perfectly match the needs of your fish tank.
On the other hand, when buying light timers, make sure to get one that comes with the following features:
- Energy efficient
- Can superbly do the automatic lights on and off
- Can ensure reliable and long lasting performance
- It is not difficult to set up and program
- Safe to use for your fish tank dwellers
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is a light timer for aquarium? How does it work?
It is quite indispensable for fish tanks to be equipped with an efficient lighting system. Needless to say, proper lighting is very vital for all kinds of life dwelling inside the aquarium particularly in tropical freshwater or reef fish tanks.
Aquarium light timers are very valuable devices to all fish tank life forms primarily because these living creatures require photosynthesis to stabilize the equilibrium in the aquarium. It is worth noting that these life forms as well as live aquatic plants will slowly fade without continuous access to sufficient amount of light on a daily basis.
Additionally, if the aquariums are placed indoors, then it is just right for them to be consistently supplied with the right amount of light they need.
For the light timer to work more efficiently, you need to plug this timer into your power strip or outlet, afterward, plug your electrical device into your light timer. Then, program the timer in order for your lights and another device to be activated when you prefer them to. See to it that you adhere to the programming instructions of the device accordingly. Otherwise, its function may fail or you will be required to do the resetting process every now and then from scratch.
What are the different types of aquarium light timers?
LED Lighting Timers or Ramp Timers. This type of light timer is specifically designed to gradually resemble a sunrise or sunset for your aquarium dwellers. So, rather than have your timer activate your lights on and off, this can serve another purpose.
In other words, it works as a dimmer for fish tank lighting. Once the timer is turned on, your lights will slowly start to get more vivid. This results to a more natural habitat for your fish tank inhabitants. This type also provides the regular on and off feature that is found on other light timers.
Some versions of this even enable users to modify the brightness of their lighting, resemble thunderstorms and the like with the aid of remote control. On the other hand, many sophisticated fish tank lights have these features built into them. These commonly work with specific brands and may be expensive.
Standard Plug-in Timer. This is one of the most well-known types of light timers utilized for fish tanks. This is comparably very affordable as compared to other types.
However, this merely works for one product. Thus, if you have two pieces of the device that you wish to activate on and off at distinct periods, there is a need for you to purchase a plug-in timer for each. Luckily, this type of timer is less pricey.
Why do you need a fish tank light timer? (Benefits)
Light timers for aquariums are very valuable devices to keep if you own a fish tank. As you might already know, the controlled supply of light is one of the most vital facets of effectively keeping an aquarium no matter how small or big your fish tank is. Moreover, there are countless kinds of lighting available nowadays; there are metal halide, fluorescent and the like. Each of these choices comes with pros and cons of course.
Having selected which type of lighting best fits their specific purpose, the professional aquarist will be insightful of a very valuable reality and that is none other than it is highly perilous for your aquarium occupants to be exposed to light 24 hours per day.
Aside from that, light must be allotted in order to ward off the spread of algae inside the aquarium. As you know, the existence of algae in the fish tank can be a serious problem, and they proliferate in a condition where heat and light are in abundant supply.
Here are the perks of using light timers for aquariums:
- A light timer could significantly assist in making running a fish tank a much more delightful hobby since even when you’re away; the device can turn the lights on and off in your stead. Hence, you can rest assured that even when you’re on vacation, your aquarium dwellers still obtain the proper lighting they require.
There are plenty of aquarium fixtures and hoods that are designed with a number of power cords that are fastened into the multiple light sockets inside the hood. This enables easy installation for the timer to activate different lights at different periods of the day. Providing the lighting needs for your fish tank occupants is no longer a laborious and burdensome task for you to handle so this won’t necessarily have to meddle with your hectic schedule.
- There is no need to worry about activating the lights on and off at the strangest period of the day and night. Thus, you can enjoy a good night’s sleep and do not need to bother waking up just to turn on the fish tank light. This is the good thing about investing in an automated light timer device.
- They are more cost-effective options because they come with energy-saving features, thus aids in reducing the cost you need to pay for utilities and electricity. This means that you do not need to worry about increasing electricity bills. Modern versions are now made with reliable power-saving features.
- Many models are equipped with backup batteries so even when there is a power interruption; the device can still work efficiently. Since you have a backup battery, your fish tank inhabitants can still enjoy the lighting requirements in a day even when there is no electricity.
- They can guarantee safe, reliable and long-lasting performance. Light timers that are manufactured by reputable brands or firms are built with durable construction materials that make them withstand rugged and long-term use.
- You can now easily and instantly brighten or dim the lighting conditions inside your fish tank automatically without much sweat and worry even when you’re at work or on holiday. That said, you can supply the adequate amount of lighting conditions your fish tank inhabitants need without doing it manually.
So, if you are the type of fish tank keeper who cannot attend to your aquarium pets’ needs every now and then, this device is a must-have for you. This works like a responsible assistant in addressing the lighting needs of your finned friends and aquatic plants living inside your aquarium.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are aquarium light timers safe?
Definitely yes! These are especially designed to be safe for use for various fish species and aquatic plants that thrive inside the fish tank. See to it that you get the right light timer that is compatible with the type of aquarium you have, and the kind of fish and aquatic plants you keep in your aquarium. Once all these factors are carefully pondered on, you can rest assured that the device won’t in any way bring harm to your most cherished aquarium pets.
How to install a light timer for aquarium?
- Carefully link the fish tank light timer to the outlet if it requires being powered.
- Then, properly connect the aquarium light in order for you to start programming the lighting.
- You can choose at which period the light turns on and off hinging on what type of aquarium pets you keep.
- Finally, let the timer execute its job of automating the lighting conditions in your fish tank.
How to set aquarium light timer switch?
- Select a suitable timer that is compatible with your fish tank light. See to it to check the type of power connector of your light and look for an appropriate timer with the same connector.
- Then, it is high time to link the timer to the light and the power adapter. If the light’s plug connectors are distinct from your timer, please be guided that this would mean that you require additional connectors.
- Lastly, program the lighting period. This shall rely on the aquatic plants and fish you have in your fish tank. Lighting 8 hours per day is recommended if you utilize the timer for your planted fish tank.
Meanwhile, 12 hours is generally recommended for fish-only aquariums and sometimes this may differ too depending on the type of fish you keep.
It is advised to minimize the lighting period if you observe that the algae are uncontrollable. Remember, it is not good to expose your aquarium pets to light beyond the recommended period.
How to care & store?
Light timers for aquariums are luckily not difficult to care for and store. All you need to do is to make sure to handle them with care and follow the installation procedures and you’re done. Use the right adapters or connectors when activating them. If not in use, be sure to store them in a cool dry place and away from children.
Where to buy?
You can purchase aquarium light timers in local hardware, fish and pet stores and in home improvement centers. If you want to shop for them online, you can refer to Amazon, eBay, Lowes, Petco, PetSmart and many other credible online shopping sites.
All things considered, you certainly prefer the top-tier product when it comes to fish tank lighting. To be honest, this could be one of the reasons why you need to purchase the best aquarium light timer as well. Fortunately, from the various light timer models discussed above, you may now ease your worries and can make a well-informed decision by carefully reviewing which one best matches your needs and preferences.
Without doubt, it is practical to consider the buying guides too in order for you to check out all the vital factors that need to be ensured before you spend your hard-earned money.