Aside from aesthetics, plants play a vital role in building a natural ecosystem. They significantly aid in producing oxygen while at the same time does a valuable job in absorbing nitrates and carbon dioxide – all of which assist in keeping the aquarium healthy and tidy.
In addition to this, fish look up to the abundant habitat they provide. With vigorous green hues and lush foliage, plants could be a very appealing addition to your freshwater aquarium.
Nonetheless, plants just like all living creatures require proper care. Truth is, it is crucial to obtain a vast insight with some specific plants; fortunately, there are plenty of plant species that are recommended for newbie aquarists.
Take in mind that caring for your plants starts with selecting the ones which are appropriate for your aquarium. Hence, you should ensure that the plants you pick are certified as underwater plants, this conveys that they could totally and safely survive even when they are submerged in water.
If you are prepared to add plants to your freshwater aquarium, it is certainly useful to take a careful look of the best aquarium plants to reduce nitrates reviews below so you can ensure providing them with the suitable form of care and come up with well-informed decision if they are the right option for you.
Table of Contents
- Best Aquarium Plant To Reduce Nitrates Reviews 2022
- 1. 6 Marimo Moss Ball
- 2. Florida 10 Species Live Aquarium Plants
- 3. 9GreenBox Golden Devil’s Ivy
- 4. SunGrow Luffy Aquarium Grass Seeds
- 5. Aquatic Arts Live Hornwort Plant
- 6. Aquatic Arts Duckweed Portion
- 7. Luffy Marimo Moss Ball
- 8. Exo Terra Moss Ball
- 9. Mainam Anacharis Elodea Densa Tropical Live Aquarium Plants
- 10. Aquaculture Nursery Farms
- What To Look For When Buying An Aquarium Plant To Reduce Nitrates
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Aquarium Plant To Reduce Nitrates Reviews 2022
1. 6 Marimo Moss Ball
If you hope to buy a live aquarium embellishment, then Marimos will perfectly fit your reference. These are certified lovely aquarium adornment that comes with spherical form and profound green color and is quite easy to take care of. Indeed, their out-of-the-ordinary look makes them a wonderful centerpiece aquarium décor in any tiny aquarium.
Marimos are ideal wedding presents and these are conventionally given as gifts that symbolize commitment and love to a lover in Japan. They are broadly renowned for use in various containers, vases, jars as well as terrariums.
These plants can be displayed anywhere to make a certain place look livelier. Besides being conventional house plants, these are ideal gifts for those who are ailing and are hospitalized. They come in good value and a fascinating addition for any freshwater tank!
2. Florida 10 Species Live Aquarium Plants
Do you wish to come up with a natural biological filter in your aquarium and have plants that could effectively suck in nitrates from waste? Then, this aquatic plant is for you! It is good at providing natural dwelling and hiding hubs for your tinier fish as well as invertebrates.
This is ideal for 10+ gallons tanks. It is capable of forming a natural terrain for various fish species and invertebrates as well.
These plants are sold at a reasonable price and come with a number of diversity and adequate stems that could fully fill a 7+ gallon aquarium. Please be guided that a few plants will take a few weeks to transition to its aquatic form as a few of them are grown through submerging them in liquid.
3. 9GreenBox Golden Devil’s Ivy
Are you currently searching for high nitrate absorbing plants? This heart-shaped and glossy house plant will help you bring more color to your dwelling place or workplace. It comes with crawling stems that could grow as high as 8 feet or more.
It possesses aerial roots that could be prepared to move up in a trellis or moss stick. It is famous for being a tree-crawler in its natural tropical hub.
They require a good dose of plant lights or a fair amount of sunlight on a daily basis. Moreover, you need to water them once per week and they will do just fine. You can put them in a well-draining potting mix; see to it that you feed them with houseplant fertilizer every two weeks and once per month during the coldest season of the year.
You will find yourself adoring these plants for they look amiable and can soothe your exhaustion in a more natural and effective approach. They make your dwelling a good sight to behold and also detoxify the air that you breathe in!
4. SunGrow Luffy Aquarium Grass Seeds
Are you wondering how to lower nitrates in a freshwater aquarium? Then, you need to look for aquatic plants that are not solely good to behold but are also beneficial to your most cherished fish in the tank. These aquarium plant seeds are great even for those who do not have much knowledge or experience in caring for plants.
When the seeds develop, the water grass becomes quite unburdensome to look after. At the period it begins growing in the tank, it is a lot easier to trim; as a result, it maintains good health and the appropriate fit. They only necessitate 2 to 4 watts of light per gallon and with an adequate amount of lighting; it will for sure become a stunning embellishment in your aquarium.
Without question, just like in taking care of other types of plants, it is a must to be patient and keep the seeds wet till they grow in appropriate sizes. Rushing will lead you to nowhere, so you better follow the instructions stringently.
5. Aquatic Arts Live Hornwort Plant
Aquatic Arts live hornworts plants may aid bring high nitrites in a new aquarium. These are perfect plants for newbies as they are not actually challenging to grow. They are recognized for being an adorable upgrade over artificial plants and they are capable of growing by up to 8 inches in height provided they are given with suitable nutrients. They serve a very vital role in biological filtration.
More than that, these are uniquely-looking plants in that they float without roots in them. They remain fine with low light setups; however, it is important to consider that exposing them to more light could lead to denser and more instant growth period.
They grow through sucking in waste comprising of nitrates and ammonia from the water, evidently, this indicates fewer pollutants that could cause cloudy and smelly water – so, this makes fish healthier and happier.
6. Aquatic Arts Duckweed Portion
Duckweeds are adorable because they look like a water lens floating type of plant that grows easily in no time. The fronds or leaves are quite tiny and they come in lovely light green color. Typically, this type of plant thrives in dense areas and is capable of providing hiding spots for tiny fish and other invertebrates.
Such a plant is uncomplicated to grow and maintain. It is okay with low light conditions; on the other hand, if you prefer fast growth it is best if you provide it with more light. You don’t need to worry about filling your tank with pollutants since this type of plant helps clear away the mess by taking in the waste in the water and with that their growth becomes even a lot faster.
Obviously, this is not merely favorable for you but for your pet fish and other invertebrates. Basically, your aquarium stays admirable and your fish are guaranteed to be happy and in good health at the same time.
Once purchased, it comes with a total of 250 pods or more. As you can see, for a pocket-friendly price, you can have a beautiful addition to your aquarium already!
7. Luffy Marimo Moss Ball
Are you troubling searching for the right gift to a special friend or loved ones who love aquatic plants? If you prefer something that symbolizes timeless love, then marimos are great picks!
Such plants are multi-purpose; they are one-of-a-kind ornaments and varieties of fish species love them for they consider them as their convenient and comfortable hiding place. In other words, if you wish to make your fish take pleasure in roaming around your aquarium, then give them an amusing toy to play with.
It is interesting to note that Marimos are quite exceptional at enhancing the quality of your tank in a way that they are capable of transforming the aquariums into a very conducive habitat for your most treasured aquatic pets. These are not difficult to grow and maintain as they could be placed in any part of the tank, glass or jar with tap water.
Please be guided that if they float, you need to squeeze them carefully in order to enable them to sink naturally. What makes Marimos a wise investment is that they could serve as a natural biological filter system; they are capable of taking in unwanted nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites from your tank.
8. Exo Terra Moss Ball
Have you decided yet what to add to your tank and make it an enticing and healthy place for your fish to dwell in?
Exo Terra Moss Ball comes with a distinctive absorption resin that is ideal for lessening plenty of the compounds that cause unwanted organic matter build-up. Basically, by means of taking in and blocking nitrate, nitrite, and phosphate within its core, this plant aids in establishing pleasant conditions for plants as well as animals.
In like manner, it aids in making aqua-terrarium maintenance a plain sailing activity to deal with. This is especially meant for bigger terrariums. Unlike other synthetic aquatic plants, this one does wonder in keeping the odor to a minimum in an aquarium.
9. Mainam Anacharis Elodea Densa Tropical Live Aquarium Plants
Anacharis is a robust grower. It comes with tiny branches that have the tendency to instantly break off from its mother plant and it has the capability to produce new plants. It is surprising to know that it could also form roots that could support itself, it mainly feeds by means of its leaves.
Likewise, this plant is easy to grow, so even if you are still beginner, you won’t have serious problems to handle. However, they are a bit tiring to take care of because they keep growing without trimming and replanting. Be sure to check them every so often to avoid them from being messy.
Anacharis won’t let you down if you are planning to invest in a type of aquatic plant that could grow in a short span of time, capable of adding color and texture to your tank and can provide you a nice sight whenever you look at your fish in the aquarium.
10. Aquaculture Nursery Farms
Are you seriously having a hard time looking for the top-drawer saltwater plants for your tank? Then, your search is over. This type of plant is capable of sustaining pure water conditions for varieties of fish and corals.
It is worth mentioning that this coral food contains prawn eggs, whole organism copepod, oyster eggs, rotifers, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, urchin eggs, as well as, copepod eggs. Truth is this ideal and nutrient-filled type of food for all fish and corals.
If you are going to observe this product closely, you will see that it could grow quite well and is capable of creating a nice habitat for pods. In like manner, it could function excellently as a nutrient remover in the septic tank.
Also, you could put these saltwater macro algae anywhere, it could be in a refugium or in the main aquarium – it does not matter where you place it so long as it obtains a sufficient amount of light. This does not possess any roots.
This product is a valuable investment in that the macroalgae grow by means of taking in and processing the nutrients obtained from leftover or unconsumed food and fish water that is especially known to be the cause of poor quality of water.
What To Look For When Buying An Aquarium Plant To Reduce Nitrates
When it comes to purchasing an aquarium plant to minimize nitrates, there are some factors that you need to bear in mind so as to ensure that your preferences and requirements will be successfully met, and some of these are comprised of the following:
- Look for the one that could be utilized as floating plants and for fish that prefer getting some shade or cover.
- Opt for the one that could grow instantly and could reproduce in an instant approach.
- Check if it has the capability to consume up a whole lot of nitrates, nitrites as well as ammonia.
- Go for the one that is convenient and comfortable for fish varieties to use and enjoy.
- See if the plant is easy to maintain and does not require special tools, equipment or other materials when it comes to cleaning and maintenance. It is nice to get the plant that would not require an ample amount of time to clean and maintain.
- Choose the aquarium plant that is visually-appealing so to provide your fish with beautiful habitat and for you to have a kind of sight that is relaxing and stunning to behold after a long and exhausting day at work.
- Review first if the aquatic plant can serve as a natural water filter that could keep your fish safe and healthy.
- Invest in a really nice plant that could grow fast and pretty well regardless of where you place it in the aquarium.
- Aquarium plants that do not require many nutrients; go for the ones that only necessitate a bit of light and do a very good job when planting in different substrates.
- Choose a sturdy and resilient aquarium plant that you won’t have any issues with in terms of keeping it alive for a long period of time.
Other Important Factors To Consider
When buying aquarium plants, it is best to deal only with reputable and highly trusted brands or companies. The reason behind this is because credible companies will guarantee only the best products that worth every single penny you pay for it.
In the same way, choosing a highly trusted company will benefit you in several ways; for instance, in the event that you have issues with the product you purchased, you can always rely on the customer service to address and settle your concerns.
Also, conduct research first prior to shopping proper. Take into account that if you are well-informed, you’re more likely to get the best possible product.
What is an aquarium plant to reduce nitrates?
Aquatic plants could actually aid reduce the quality of water. Moreover, if you are not capable of satisfying the needs of aquatic plants, they are more likely to shed leaves, wilt and eventually die.
Of course, the dead plant material will deteriorate over time; and this will produce more nitrogen compounds such as nitrite and ammonia.
Hence, if you do not take proper care of your aquarium plants, these could lead to unpleasant compromises in terms of the quality of the water. The fact is, this is the reason why it matters to look after your plants by providing them with carbon dioxide and strong light.
It is noteworthy that nitrates should not be present in the water of your aquarium. While it is true that it is not the sole most dangerous substance to various fish species, it is still not good to contain in any type of container or tank. Fortunately, there is a myriad of nitrate-consuming plants available these days that could aid filter your tank from this harmful substance.
How does it work?
In particular, fast-growing aquarium plants come with superior demand in elements like phosphate and nitrate among others. Therefore, they could aid in contributing to the decline of phosphate and nitrate concentrations.
Furthermore, the aquatic plants are capable of providing a pleasant hiding habitat and spawning opportunities for different animal inhabitants like shrimp and fish.
Aside from this, oxygen is produced through the process of photosynthesis which in turn does wonder to the tank’s occupants. In this aspect, the introduction of aquarium plants is a very natural method when it comes to minimizing nitrates, which effectively supports the tank’s entire ecosystem.
And, in order to ensure the maximum growth of your aquarium plants, take in mind that it is deemed crucial to supply them with all the necessary nutrients.
It is essential to understand that nitrate-consuming plants serve a very indispensable role when it comes to filtering the aquarium from harmful substances.
What are the different types of aquarium plants to reduce nitrates?
Some of the top aquarium plants that are quite reliable at reducing nitrates include the following:
- Moss balls. These look cool and look like tiny furry tennis balls. They come in a lot of perks, but most importantly, they are highly acclaimed for superb absorption, process, and utilization of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in the water.
- Duckweed. This is best for consuming up and sucking in nitrates in the water. They have rounded floating leaves and are known for being floating plants.
This is a great option for an aquarium that could utilize several floating plants and for fish that prefer getting a shade or cover. They grow fast, multiply instantly and are superb at devouring nitrates, nitrite, and ammonia.
- Water Sprite. This is a stunning plant that is exceptional at filtering the tank particularly in getting rid of nitrates, nitrite, and ammonia from an aquarium. It does a very wonderful job, easy to maintain and requires pruning to be done every now and then.
- Frogbit. This is also a floating type of plant that has rounded green leaves floating on top of the water. They serve as a cover or shade for fish as well. They grow quite fast that it requires regular trimming to ward them off from overtaking the aquarium.
Allowing this stuff to grow excessively could lead to having an excessive shade that impedes an ample amount of light from getting into the aquarium.
- Anacharis Elodea. This looks identical to water sprite. It has long green stems that have slightly elongated leaves. It does not matter where you prefer to put in the aquarium.
This plant grows really tall; hence, it is better to utilize it as a mid-ground or foreground plant. It is easy to maintain, does not need more nutrients and is outstanding in filtering the water.
- Water Lettuce. This looks like a blossoming flower with the head of lettuce. It has green and long square leaves that are moderately rounded at the front.
This aquatic plant requires more nutrients and takes in more substances in the water. However, it comes in a large size so it is intended for bigger tanks. It is good at filtering water and sucking in nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates.
Why do you need aquarium plants to reduce nitrates? Benefits?
Aquarium plants are not merely natural adornment but also come with a number of physical and chemicals benefits. They are very valuable in terms of keeping a healthy and clean tank. These are especially recommended for both newbies and expert tank enthusiasts.
Here are some of the perks that you can enjoy with aquarium plants that reduce nitrates:
- They serve a very vital role in a distinctive kind of filtration system.
- They come with the capability to aid get rid of the waste that is discharged by the fish.
- They do a very pivotal role in eliminating decaying substances or matter.
- Aquatic plants suck in nitrates by means of using their leaves and with the aid of substrate.
- They function well in the carbon cycle.
- They help in promoting a considerable reduction in Algae.
- They are a great provider of safe and shielded habitat for fry and fish.
- Aquarium plants help in reconstructing the natural habitat of varieties of fish and animals.
- They could naturally aid enhance chemical filtration.
- Aquatic plants greatly help in aeration of the water column.
- The root systems of aquarium plants encourage substrate security.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular aquarium plants to reduce nitrates brands?
The most renowned aquarium plants that have the capability to minimize nitrates include:
- Water Sprite
- Moss balls
- Anacharis Elodea
- Water Lettuce
How to plant these plants?
When adding live aquatic plants in the tank, the following must be observed:
A good substrate commonly comprises of 2 layers that are specially designed to grip and provide the necessary minerals that are substantial for the plants. In addition to this, a combination of potting soil and laterite for the lower layer could help guarantee a safe reservoir of minerals- this should be 2 by up to 3 inches.
On the other hand, the top layer must comprise of gravel or sand at least 1 by up to 2 inches. Please be guided that waste particles are a lot uncomplicated to isolate from gravel when extracting the substrate.
Needless to say, plants especially require light for photosynthesis. As you know, fluorescent light is commonly recommended because it is mainly in the blue and red spectrum. The red spectrum is the one that promotes photosynthesis while a mixture with full spectrum lighting is highly advised.
Hinging on the type of plant, 2 watts per gallon is already adequate, plants or deeper aquariums that need more extreme lighting might require 3 watts per gallon.
Since light serves as the sole energy source, see to it that it is on for 10 by up to 12 hours every day and this must be evenly distributed all the though the tank. Carbon dioxide, light, and substrate are the primary factors for flourishing plant growth.
Where can I plant these plants?
Remember the following when placing plants in the tank or aquarium:
- Utilize foreground plants in the front of the aquarium because this remains short.
- Utilize middle-ground plants that usually grow approximately 4 by up to 10 inches in height, along the sides of the tank and be sure to set aside an open swimming spot close by the middle section of the tank.
- Consider using the tallest aquatic plants to conceal the heaters and filter tubes of the tank, this must be positioned against the back of the wall of the tank.
How to reduce nitrates in aquariums?
Here are some useful steps to keep nitrates low:
- Make sure to keep the aquarium clean. Wastes are the prime reason for nitrate production. So, if your tank is clean, there will be fewer nitrates.
- Never overfeed the fish. One of the main contributors to excessive nitrates and other unwanted wastes is overfeeding.
- Administer regular water changes. Take note that RO/DI water is an exceptional option when it comes to minimizing nitrate levels.
- Keep the aquatic plants alive. Since live plants use nitrates, this shall aid keep nitrates regulated.
- Employ nitrogen reducing filter media. Special filters and costly denitrator are quite pricey, so better utilize a special media filter. While this may not considerably reduce nitrates, if utilized together with other techniques, the outcome will be advantageous.
How to take care of these aquatic plants?
Just keep the water in the tank clean. Do not forget to trim the plants if necessary. Provide the necessary lighting, carbon dioxide, and substrate. Follow the proper care and maintenance procedure of the aquarium plants that you buy and add in your tank.
Where to buy aquarium plants?
Luckily, aquarium plants are not difficult to find. You may start your search in your local fish store but expect that the options are limited. Meanwhile, there are a number of legit online sites like eBay and Amazon where you can buy aquatic plants and these sites often offer a limitless number of options that you can select from.
You only need to conduct a research of other highly trusted online sites where you can buy one.
By far, the most significant benefit that live plants provide for your tank is that they are capable of taking in carbon dioxide as well as ammonia that varieties of fish produce; most importantly, these are adept at producing oxygen.
Essentially, adding aquatic plants in the aquarium greatly help in reconstructing a natural habitat for various fish and this might be one of the most advantageous means to keep your fish safe, happy and healthy!
Without doubt, plants provide security and shelter for the fish. And, since they contend with algae for nutrients, these plants could aid in cutting down the growth of algae.
Nonetheless, it is worth stating that adding live plants does not decline the need for water changes. Hence, when picking the best aquarium plants to reduce nitrates, see to it that you choose species that are genuine aquatic species and which are quite appropriate for your particular fish species as well as water type.