The features of your aquarium must be taken into account when looking for the right stand. A heavier and larger tank must be supported by an appropriate stand that is both sturdy and strong. The strength of the stand should conform to the gallon capacity of the aquarium.
In addition to this, there are a few stands that are specially made to accommodate tanks that come with bow-shaped fronts; on the other hand, there are also those that are made to have the capability to uphold tanks that are rectangular in shape.
This makes it very essential to select a stand that is well-fitted to the tank’s shape. Fortunately, the best aquarium stand reviews below can greatly assist you as you come up with the best possible option for your needs and preferences.
As you can see, you can only effectively pick the appropriate aquarium stand for your tank if you carefully take into consideration the shape, weight, and size of your aquarium.
A high-quality aquarium stand is vital to keeping an aquarium in good condition. But the buying process is much more complicated than just picking the first simple one on Amazon. Instead, you’ll need to take into account various factors like these:
- Tank Size: Never choose a stand without comparing it to your tank’s size. Otherwise, it might not be large enough to accommodate the aquarium. Most manufacturers make it easy by placing the measurements in the product description.
- Weight of Your Tank: Every fish tank holder or stand will have a weight limit. So it’s crucial to know your tank’s weight to choose a stand with matching weight capacity; otherwise, it may buckle under the aquarium’s heft.
- Price: The cost of an aquarium table stand will change based on its provided features. For instance, a rustic option made from solid wood costs much more than an industrial plastic one. Creating a budget accounting for these little details would be in your best interest.
Moreover, investing in a stand that is unsuitable for your aquarium, for example, may only result in crumbling, endangering and degrading your aquarium occupants. To help you select the best possible option, examine the top aquarium stand reviews below!
Imagitarium Tank Stand
|✅ Tidy and contemporary design|
|✅ Quite easy going to set up|
|✅ Looks great for the current selling price|
Flipper Ivory Oak Aquarium Stand
|✅ Holds 20-gallon and 240-pound tanks|
|✅ Beautiful wood grain finish and white coloring|
|✅ Design meshes with all home decor and style|
Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
|✅ Easy-to-follow setup procedures|
|✅ Available in a wide array of sizes|
|✅ Solid steel construction|
Table of Contents
- Most Trusted Aquarium Stand Reviews 2023
- What To Look For When Buying An Aquarium Stand
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Most Trusted Aquarium Stand Reviews 2023
1. Imagitarium Wooden Tank Stand
If you are planning to purchase a 20 gallon fish tank stand, then you may take a closer look at Imagitarium Newport Wooden Tank Stand. This will definitely look great on your aquarium and it can help keep all your fish stuff secured on the shelves beneath it. As you can see, the dark finish on the wood looks exquisite and it can match any living room furniture.
Moreover, the shelves are comparably bulky which is a clear indication of premium quality wood. The design is not solely meant to ensure an appealing décor to your tank but is also intended to provide the much-needed support your tank requires.
What sets this stand apart from other options is that it comes with level adjustments on its base. As a result, whether you are a pro or a newbie, you won’t have any concerns when setting it up.
- Tidy and contemporary design
- Quite easy going to set up
- Designed with easy-to-adjust protective nylon leveling feet
- Looks great for the current selling price
- Comes with nice finish and enough storage space
- Has the tendency to be unsteady
- Lots of imperfections in the wood
2. Flipper Ivory Oak Aquarium Stand
Finding a reliable, sturdy aquarium stand isn’t always an easy task. But it does seem easy when looking at an option like Flipper’s Ivory Oak Aquarium Stand. After all, its durable laminated MDF and particleboard construction is top-tier.
Its ability to hold 20-gallon tanks up to 240 pounds reflects this reliability. Therefore, it’s easy to see Flipper put a lot of thought into its product’s durability. I don’t feel uncomfortable relying on the tank to hold up, even in dangerous situations.
But durability is only half the battle with a fish or turtle tank stand. Any top-tier option will also bring a certain beauty to the table. Thankfully, this model provides a beautiful wood grain finish and white coloring that makes my old gray fish tank stand look second-rate in comparison.
I would also point to its adaptable design as another positive feature. It makes this fish tank stand with storage a cool piece of furniture in any home decor. In addition, it brought my guest room to a whole new level, effectively tying the room together.
Of course, these aspects aren’t the only ones to impress me. Another one to catch my eye was its sizable storage compartment. It made storing my fish tank accessories much more manageable than my prior movable aquarium stands.
But I do have to acknowledge two problems with this aquarium stand. The first one stems from requiring two people to assemble, which isn’t ideal for me. Plus, I wasn’t thrilled to see a few people complaining about it arriving with missing pieces on Reddit and customer reviews.
- Durable laminated MDF and particleboard construction
- Holds 20-gallon and 240-pound tanks
- Beautiful wood grain finish and white coloring
- Sizable storage compartment for accessories
- Design meshes with all home decor and style
- It takes two people to assemble
- Packaging issues (parts missing)
However, these minor issues still don’t take away from it being top-tier furniture suitable for fish tank use. Its overall durability and beautiful design outweigh these concerns that only impact a small number of buyers.
3. Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
This metal fish tank stand comes with pegs on the above shelf, this is intended to aid align and keep the tank from shifting. However, this stand is ideal only for glass tanks that are designed with plastic frames on its base.
In like manner, if you have a tank that comes with a different design, this is not ideal for you. Take note that you cannot put the tank on the top that is not the precise size meant for the stand. It is crucial to adhere to the instructions stringently to avoid any problems in the future.
The design, build and quality of this stand are thumbs up. If you have limited space in your dwelling area or in the workplace, this is a perfect fit. You do not need to worry because even if it is metal-made, it does not damage hardwood floors.
The stand sits accordingly with no uneven or wobbling legs and its finish does look appealing and evenly coated.
- Built with solid steel construction
- Capable of holding up to two tanks simultaneously
- Easy-to-follow setup procedures
- Designed with rustproof powder coated finish
- Available in a wide array of sizes
- Necessitates some assembly
- Tendency for the tank to crack
4. Coralife Designer Biocube Stand
This aquarium stand is absolutely a great deal. You won’t have any struggle in putting it together; nevertheless, it has plenty of pieces to set up. It could be a durable and stunning stand when set up appropriately. It is interesting to note that the aesthetics complement attractively with the aquarium and you won’t have to worry about wobbling tendencies at all.
This stand comes with a fine cross bar wood piece located at the back top where users can easily mount a power strip on the interior section in order to conceal all the cords. Please be guided that the back piece must be glued so as to provide much needed support. Indeed, the glue surrounding the perimeter is truly vital to guarantee stability, so see to it that you put a thick bead.
Interestingly, the stand is ideal to complement the aquarium and the glass panels on the door serve as a unique cosmetic touch. This will definitely make the aquarium a more relaxing view to behold after a long day.
- Perfectly compatible with BioCube tanks
- Comes with roomy shelving
- Materials are water-resistant
- Built with rear electrical holes with durable and elevated feet
- Deigned with black handles and acrylic tinted panels
- Too tiny back plate
- Not functional if assembly instructions are not accordingly followed
5. Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand
Are you wondering where you can purchase cheap fish tank stands? Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand is the perfect choice for 29-gallon tanks. You won’t have any problems in putting it together since it is a piece of cake to assemble. In the same way, even if you have uneven floors at home or in the workplace, this comes with adjustable feet to make leveling a plain sailing task for you to deal with.
As compared to other tank stand brands, this is considered less pricey so it is friendly for those who are on a budget. You can get a high-quality and modern design stand that can be used for many years as well.
This can be used in terrariums and aquariums and aside from the solid support it can provide, it can also be a great addition to your tank décor. This is a nice 29 gallon aquarium stand that you can consider investing in.
- Built with sturdy solid steel and durable construction
- Designed with easy-to-adjust feet for leveling
- Looks attractive in any terrarium or tanks
- Comes in different sizes to fit your needs and the size of the aquarium
- Contemporary and sleek design with black finish
- No available shelves for storage
- Comes with some finish scratches
What To Look For When Buying An Aquarium Stand
Many a time, new aquarium owners encounter an unpleasant first experience with their tank and end up nearly giving up prior to getting started. Taking in mind all the indispensable factors in buying a tank stand and having a well-thought-of plan ahead; could greatly assist potential new tank owners in warding off common hazards.
Needless to say, even for experienced aquarium owners, it cannot be denied that planning is a great idea.
Here are some of the factors that you need to contemplate on when buying an aquarium stand:
- Cost. One should not be deceived by the idea that you can start an aquarium hobby for less than $50. In reality, starting up an aquarium may cost roughly $150 by up to $200. So, if you do not have this sum of money yet, consider setting aside some more and investing in an aquarium stand when you already have enough budget to get started.
Take note that it is always most suitable to save until the funds are available to obtain all the things that you require in this hobby. And, a good means to get started is to create a checklist of what you need.
- The size of the tank. If it is your first time to start an aquarium, as much as possible, avoid tanks below 10 gallons. Some small tanks are virtually harder to manage as compared to the larger ones. This is because toxins can accumulate quite fast in a low volume of water. Water chemistry and temperature changes could also emerge instantly when there are only a few gallons of water.
- Weight of the tank. A tank that is bigger than 15 gallons shall weigh more than 200 lbs. once filled with water. And, this must be placed on a durable stand rather than a desk or a shelf.
Indeed, you will also require a place where to put the tank that isn’t subjected to drafts, and is not positioned in direct sunlight or extreme temperatures that may harm your tank inhabitants.
- Location. The location should be fine with getting drenched every now and then. Removing or adding fish and tank occupants from the aquarium will splash around the aquarium. Hence, if you are planning to keep an aquarium on bookshelves or desktops or other locations that might get drenched, consider this situation.
- The number of tank inhabitants you plan to keep. You need to be realistic about the number and size of your fish. Obviously, your tank occupants shall figure out the size of the tank that you need to purchase, and this seriously impacts the space that you will especially require to accommodate your tank friends.
For instance, if you decide to buy a larger tank, it is advised to begin with some fish that are not difficult to take care of. Eventually, as you gain experience in keeping a tank, you can gradually add more fish that are slightly challenging to keep.
To put simply, always first consider the size of the tank and the number of fish that you plan to look after at the start. Afterward, plan ahead prior to buying the fish or equipment and this can aid in making your new hobby a success and a more enjoyable one!
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is an aquarium stand?
Aquarium stands are a fundamental component of every aquatic system. The stand should be solid in order for it to have the capacity to bear the weight of a filled tank.
Stands are ideally made of water-proof and sturdy materials since these are more likely to come in contact with tank water and will be set up for over a long period of time.
These come ready to assemble and assembled. It is significant to note that regardless of the style of the stand that you select, it must be made especially for tank use, with materials that are constructed and designed to endure the test of time.
How does it work?
An aquarium stand serves as the solid support not solely on the size of the tank but also on the filled weight of the tank. The style and type of stand must consider the weight of the aquarium when filled with water and the tank’s size.
What are the different types of aquarium stand?
Standard aquarium stand. This is also known as big store stands. You generally find them in pet stores and online shops. It is commonly built with MDF and particle board. Many stands of this type are constructed as less pricey as probable.
While it is true that they could function in a no-sump setup or freshwater setup, this type of stand will not fit the requirements of a saltwater aquarium or bigger freshwater tank in the long run.
DIY stand. This is the type of stand that you construct yourself. If you are good at assembling and doing carpentry works, then you may look for designs and procedures on how to build it yourself. You can design the stand based on your preference and the kind of aquarium that you have. Best of all, this stand does not cost much.
Brand name stand. This type of stand is manufactured by high-end firms that specialize in constructing stands for hobbyists. You can commonly find this stand in all-in-one aquarium setups. Such a stand is built with a metal frame or wood and comes with specifications that suit aquarium hobby quite well.
Custom built stand. This is usually made by custom aquarium firms that specialize in high-end construction. Such a stand is generally made to order and can be the most costly type of stand for tanks.
This is often times designed with customized shelves and cabinet doors to fit the needs of the tank. The materials it is made of commonly include metal or wood. This is made with premium quality but is quite expensive.
Why do you need a stand for an aquarium?
Aquarium stands are necessary for that they are the ones that provide support for the entire tank. As a general rule, when purchasing a stand, you need to ensure that you pick the one that comes with the capacity to support and bear the entire length and width of the tank. This is particularly useful with tanks that are larger and comes with heavy weight.
Of course, a larger and heavier tank requires a solid and durable stand that can fully support it. Aside from providing the support that the aquarium needs, aquarium stands can also serve as a very attractive addition to your tank and an eye-catching display inside your house.
Not to mention, an aquarium and a suitable stand that comes with various colors of fish and other decors can definitely add something unique and soothing to any spot in your dwelling place. Without question, this could make any room in the house look brighter, fresher and happier.
As a matter of fact, many people believe that any form of water that is kept inside the house surely brings fortune and good health to the family.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should an aquarium stand be against a wall?
Setting your stand against a wall is usually an ideal option. It’ll ensure nothing can get behind it while offering more security against wobbling. But certain factors can make this setup a bit problematic.
For instance, a typical example would be when the plumbing goes up the tank’s back. This setup would make doing any maintenance and cleaning incredibly difficult. So I’d suggest leaving a couple of inches between the stand and the wall.
Otherwise, placing the tank against a wall is a solid move. I haven’t had any issues setting up my heavy-duty large fish tank stand against my basement wall. It’s saved a few times when I was careless and accidentally hit the tank.
What can you put under the aquarium stand?
I’d recommend putting a mat under the aquarium cabinet stand or table stand to prevent water spillage. As a result, it’ll protect your floor from any unnecessary damage. I’d also put a felt aquarium pad between the stand and the tank to prevent slippage within the fish tank and stand combo.
For instance, RESILIA’s Water-Resistant Aquarium Pad would be an excellent choice. I’ve used it for years without producing any slippage or other issue with my aquarium table stand.
How much weight can an aquarium stand hold?
The weight capacity of an aquarium stand varies from product to product. Each option will have its specific weight limit expressed in its description. For instance, Flipper’s Aquarium Stand is meant for 10 to 20-gallon tanks weighing 120 to 240 pounds.
Every aquarium stand will describe its limits similarly in the product description. I’d recommend following them, or your stand-up fish tank may come crashing down. Honestly, weight limits aren’t something to mess around with when setting up a fish tank with stand supports.
What is the most trusted aquarium stand brands?
If you’re looking for highly trusted aquarium stand brands, you may select from the following:
- Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank
- Ameriwood Aquarium Stand
- Aquatic Fundamentals Upright Aquarium Stand
- Sauder Select Aquarium Stand
- Coralife Designer Biocube Stand
- Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
What are aquarium stands made of?
There are diverse kinds of materials for an aquarium stand that you should be acquainted with when planning to either build your own stand or purchase one:
When it comes to high-quality tank stand construction, plywood is the standard material used. This is generally utilized in expensive and branded stands and it is also the common material for those who decide to build their own stand.
This is a sturdy material and is less prone to water damage. This can be sealed or painted and the quality of the material can withstand a long period of usage.
- MDF/Particle Board
This is the least pricey type of wood that is utilized for stand construction. It is usually utilized with stands that are imported or with store chain brand stands. This is not ideal for saltwater tanks due to high humidity.
This material would only be fine to utilize if you construct your own stand, hire a carpenter to do it or if you are knowledgeable about woodworking and if you are good at sealing and painting it.
This material is commonly utilized for bigger tanks. It has solid structural support and a combination of wood and metal could be utilized to construct a custom stand. Due to this material’s greater structural strength, it is more open, so this could enhance your access to the sewer and the back-end electronics that are stored in your stand.
Moreover, metal frames are typically made with aluminum or stainless steel.
What color stand is most suitable for a fish tank?
One of the first decisions that plenty of aquarium hobbyists make when setting up a new aquarium is what color scheme they will employ to decorate the tank. It is interesting to note that there are some enthusiasts who come up with a natural underwater world while there are those who prefer to go wild with bright colors of their choice.
The color of the aquarium stand will always be up to you. However, it is a must to consider whether you opt for a wild aquarium theme or a natural underwater world theme. Apart from this, you also need to ponder on the color of your fish you intend to keep as well as the plants, structure, and rock in the fish tank.
Once these factors are all carefully thought of, you can surely come up with the best possible color that will match your tank and aquarium stand.
Are the aquarium stands waterproof? How to waterproof it?
You can purchase aquarium stands that are waterproof these days. For a fact, nearly all tank stand brands are made with water-resistant materials.
In case, you are planning to make your stand on your own; you can waterproof it through:
- Applying a waterproof sealant on the entire interior part of the stand.
- You may consider running silicone on the underneath corners inside the stand. This is quite important because it will greatly aid in keeping the water from running under the tank stand.
- You may mount a power strip on the stand’s interior section; to do this better, mount it against the top of the inside as much as possible. The outlets should all be faced down in order for the water not to run into them.
How tall should an aquarium stand be?
A regular size tank stand is constructed for viewing while sitting down and the measurement will generally be shorter than 30-inches. Countless of high-end tank stands and all-in-one aquariums nowadays will have taller stands which generally measure 30 by up to 36 inches. In the same way, many aquarium hobbyists will also construct a stand that has a taller height of 36 inches.
How to level aquarium stands?
When leveling your tank, it is recommended to level the stand or furniture where the tank is sitting on and not the tank itself. To do so, you need to utilize shims under the stand when necessary. On the other hand, if the stand is level but the aquarium is not sitting on appropriately, then a sheet of Styrofoam or tank leveling mat may be utilized to loosen the irregularities.
When leveling your aquarium stand, you will need the following materials/tools:
- Rubber mallet
- Tank leveling mat or a piece of Styrofoam
- If you are on a carpet, you need a rubber mallet to slowly beat in the shims. Meanwhile, you will require a crowbar to lift the tank stand if you are on hard floors.
- You may also utilize a mat or a leveling pad beneath your tank in some cases.
How to build an aquarium stand?
Fortunately, if you wish to set aside some pennies, you could actually build your own tank stand right at your own home. You will only require screws, wood sheeting, 2x4s, wood glue, a drill and of course a load of patience and strong eagerness to put a little work into it!
Here are the guides on how to make your DIY aquarium stand:
- Figure out the dimensions of your tank stand hinged on the size of your tank.
- Carefully cut the pieces of wood to accommodate the dimensions of your tank stand. It is recommended to utilize a circular saw to cut 4 2x4s to the preferred width, 2 2x4s to the preferred length and 8 2x4s to the preferred height.
- Fasten the 4 smaller 2x4s to one side of a length-cut 2×4. Situate 2 of the smaller 2x4s together with the bottom and top of the thin side of the lengthier 2×4 and put the two other smaller pieces in the center.
Afterward, utilize a power drill to fasten the smaller 2x4s to the bigger piece with the use of 6.4 cm. construction screws.
- Lay the other length-cut 2×4 near the frame and thoroughly fasten it to the smaller pieces.
- Fasten a height-cut 2×4 at each edge and after that cross brace location on your frame.
- Cut and fix up a piece of plywood at the base of the frame.
- To cover the frame with sheeting, you will need to cut 4 pcs. of wood sheeting to accommodate every side of the stand.
- Fasten every piece of sheeting in a secure mode to the sides of the tank stand.
- You may then add trim the edges of the frame if you wish to make it appear more attractive.
- Then, it is time to polish all areas of the stand and make sure to smooth them out.
- Stain or paint your finished tank stand in any color of your preference.
- If you like, you may also affix doors to the front section of your stand.
Please be guided that when you construct your tank stand on your own; this must be crafted to fit your specific tank. The design that was modeled above could be altered accordingly through simply adjusting the width and length of your requirements.
How to care and clean?
Looking after and cleaning your aquarium stand is not a tedious one. You only need to wipe it with a clean cloth or use furniture cleaner or a polisher to make it glossy. Make sure it is made of water-resistant materials and make it more waterproof by using a sealant or silicone prior to using it. This will aid in making a stand last for many more years of usage.
Where to buy?
You can buy aquarium stands in various pet or fish stores in your area, Walmart, Amazon, eBay, Petco., Petsmart, Lowes, and other highly credible online shopping sites.
Right to it, when it comes to deciding what type of aquarium stand to get, it is crucial to mull over the shape, size, and weight of your current tank. Apart from this, also look at the kind of materials the stand is made of; think about the space for the equipment, how easy is it to set up, the height of your tank and what look do you prefer.
Of course, before anything else, you need to set the budget you are willing to spend for a tank stand. Be reminded that you should not settle for low-cost options if the quality is compromised.
As you can see, there are a number of factors that you need to think over when investing in a high-quality aquarium stand. Luckily, with the best aquarium stand reviews shared above, it is no longer a very cumbersome task for you to decide which one perfectly matches all the requirements you have in mind.