Being offered with a myriad of options on the market these days can certainly be helpful, but at other times this could also make choosing the best fish bowl for you a very confusing task to deal with. That said, it is most suitable to conduct research first regarding the most trusted and reliable brands that are known to be experts in the world of aquariums and fish keeping hobbies. This way, you can be at peace knowing that you are in good hands.
Indeed, the product reviews comprehensively examined below as well as the buying tips tackled in this post are all very helpful means for you to have a careful look at what will be the most practical option for your fish keeping needs. As you know, it is always best if you have obtained useful information first before you buy the fish bowl that you are eyeing to invest in. Take in mind that there are lots of features and functions for you to look into prior to the final buying decision.
Buying a pet fish bowl requires more research than people assume. In fact, several essential factors will play a massive role in determining the right option. So, I’ll take you through some of them to provide a little background before moving on to our reviews:
- Price: Fish bowls are available at multiple price tags. As a result, choosing the most inexpensive one is often inciting, but this option is almost always a mistake. Finding a solid balance between high-quality craftsmanship and a suitable price is better. You may even decide to spend extra on a glass fish bowl with filter devices included.
- Size: You’ll come across various sizes when buying fish bowls. These products could be 2 gallon, 3 gallon, or even 5 gallon fish bowl tanks. You must decide what size meshes with your marine species. Invertebrates don’t need much space, but for most fish, 5 gallons should be the minimum.
- Placement: Never purchase a fish bowl without considering where to put it. Selecting an area away from heat sources and direct sunlight would be best. I’d also suggest a space away from constant foot traffic, so a bedroom or guest room would be ideal. Once you’ve determined the location, see whether the bowl dimensions would fit it.
- Design: Fish bowls have many designs to incite a buyer’s taste. So think about design ideas and whether you want a modern, classic, rectangle, or pretty fish bowl before buying. It’s an easy way to ensure your choice can meet your needs.
Continue going over the valuable information discussed in the rest of this article so that you can be guaranteed to get the real value for your hard-earned money and end up being delighted with the right product that could make your fish keeping hobby a more pleasurable one.
Table of Contents
Top-Quality Fish Bowl Reviews of 2023
1. Koller Products 1-Gallon Fish Bowl
Everyone surely wants to get the top-rated goldfish bowls and if you really want to do so, you’ve got to pick the most trusted brand too. And, luckily this does not need to be quite costly to invest in.
This adorable fish bowl can be easily filled with silk flowers, glass beads, fresh flowers, potpourri and embellishing marbles. Since it is not made of a fragile glass material, you won’t have to worry if you have a toddler and other pets living with you.
In addition to this, it can offer a clearer fish tank view that you can enjoy viewing whenever you feel exhausted; it looks stylish wherever you decide to place it. This is no trouble to clean since it can be washed in warm water.
Nevertheless, this mini fish bowl is made of the plastic material reason why it is not that durable to withstand extreme temperatures. Additionally, it appears a little fragile for a holding haven for your live pet fish.
- Ideal for weddings, centerpieces, 360-viewing, crafting and home adornments
- Comes in a very cheap price tag
- Made using shatter-resistant plastic material
- Safe to use even with kids and other pets around
- Can guarantee superb transparency
- Cannot withstand extreme temperatures since it is made of plastic
- Seems slightly flimsy for a holding hub for a live fish
2. CYS EXCEL Terrarium Glass Bubble Bowl
Shopping for cool fish bowls for bettas is made easier these days for they are not that difficult to find and nearly readily available in local aquarium stores and online shopping sites. They have certified less costly alternatives if compared with larger aquariums.
If it is your desire to provide your betta fish with a spacious environment for them to thrive, this cute fish bowl is a good pick that would satisfy your expectations. It is not limited to a single application but could also be used for other purposes.
It can magnify what’s inside the bowl; as a result, you can have a clearer view inside it and no matter where you prefer to place it, this will definitely look more captivating for everyone.
However, there are two weak points that come with this mini aquarium and these are the not so thick glass material that makes it more prone to instant breakage and has the tendency to crack under pressure plus it is not that smooth sailing to clean because it is slightly bulky.
- Comes with wonderful magnification to allow better view
- Practical to use for different occasions
- Designed to be lead-free and non-porous
- Appears as a modern and stylish décor anywhere you place it
- Uniquely handcrafted
- Slightly hard to clean since it is a little heavy
- Glass material is not thick
3. WGV Clear Bubble Bowl Glass Vase
Would you like to own fancy fish bowls for your most cherished pet fish? If so, then why not take a closer look of this cute and super clear bowl?
This mini bowl is meant not only to be an excellent shelter for your small fish but could also be used as a very pretty flower centerpiece embellishment for special occasions. It is well-made and seems to be built by professional craftsmen. Its glass material is solid and can ensure a more lucid view inside it.
Likewise, the size of this cute bowl is not too huge and not too small so it could provide just the appropriate space you will ever need when decorating or when sheltering your tiny pet fish. You can place this on top of your desk or closet.
Even so, a couple of the not so good qualities of this product are its misleading dimensions and it comes with rough and sharp edges that make it dangerous to handle especially when cleaning it. It could cause injuries so you better handle it with extra caution.
- Works as ideal terrarium
- Appears to be built with sterling quality and stellar craftsmanship
- Makes a very lovely centerpiece or decoration
- Looks very transparent and elegant
- Can fit nicely on a dresser or desktop
- Comes with rough and sharp edges
- Dimensions were a bit misleading
4. Anchor Hocking Goldfish Bowl-Drum
Many of us always prefer unique glass fish bowls as we want something that comes with a more distinctive look than the usual ones. This product is topnotch yet it does not force you to spend more.
This impressive fish bowl is flat on the front and rear sections. It certainly comes with a perfect shape and you could easily realize that it is precisely what you especially necessitate as it is heavy, solid and seems well-constructed to execute its purpose.
If it is your first time putting a mini aquarium together, then this will help you make a great start. It is a piece of cake to assemble so getting started with your fish keeping hobby will be struggle-free. And, best of all, there is no need to spend extravagantly for a good fish bowl.
Howbeit, this mini fish bowl is slightly bulky especially when you start to fill it with water and other items when setting up a new mini aquarium and it appears to be more susceptible to developing cracks at the bottom section of the bowl.
- Built using good quality and durable glass material
- Does the job
- Highly recommended if you’re keeping betta fish
- Straightforward to set up and use
- A superb value for the price
- A little bulky
- Seems prone to getting cracked at the bottom
5. Sweetsea Hanging Fish Bowl
Are you eyeing to invest in creative betta fish bowls? Then, this space-saving wall-mounted and attractive mini bowl can surely satisfy your one-of-a-kind taste. As you can see, it looks more prominent than other similar products sold today.
This uniquely-looking bowl is capable of holding water well and it seems quite stable. Since it is designed to be wall-mounted, this won’t clutter your space. It is best known for being a lovely hanging planter and fish bowl that makes a great gift for those who are into fish and plant keeping.
It is worth noting that this mini bowl is a child’s play to put together and maintaining it is not a pain in the neck. This would absolutely make a very wonderful accent that would add more life and vibrant color to a small place. It has the capability to complement a certain spot at home or in the workplace. You can add tiny fish, small plants and fancy stones to intensify its unique look.
On the other hand, while this mini bowl is said to be a good hub for tiny fish, it looks quite small for your pet fish to live comfortably. And, it has the potentiality to cause some leakage issues after several months of use.
- Built with supreme quality transparent acrylic material
- Designed with space-saving feature
- Top-tier pick for live plants, tiny fish and goldfish
- Installation can done in a snap
- Works as a very creative and distinctive home adornment
- Has the tendency to leak
- Size seems inappropriate to shelter fish
6. Anchor Hocking Goldfish Bowl
Are you currently searching for affordable and unique betta fish bowls? If that is the case, this one is worth considering. This is made of sturdy glass material that can offer a very clear view whether you add fish into it or some decors during special events.
Many consumers buy this mini bowl for holiday decorations. The reason for that is that it has the capability to look elegant, expensive and stunning once embellished with various decors. It is built to be solid and is capable of doing its job just as described.
This is unrivaled if you want to use it to keep a single goldfish or betta fish. The size is just adequate for a tiny fish to move around and it can serve as your goldfish or betta fish’s temporary shelter. It appears well-constructed and free from any damage.
Be that as it may, two of the negative sides of owning this mini fish bowl are its very small size which might not be ideal for keeping betta fish full time and it seems not that recommendable if you intend to keep goldfish as this type of fish tends to grow bigger. Observing it closely, it looks like it is ideal only for decorative applications.
- Works better as a decorative object
- Uncomplicated to set up and use
- Ideal option due to its capability to add a superb value
- Made of thick and sturdy glass material
- Seems solidly crafted and designed
- Appear not so ideal for keeping goldfish
- Quite tiny to keep a betta in full time
7. Koller Products 1.5-Gallon Fish Bowl
If you are planning to buy cute fish bowls as gifts for little children or for those who are beginners in fish keeping hobby, then this mini bowl can be your best start. This is not just meant for fish keeping but also for decorating purposes whenever you have special occasions to take care of.
This plastic-made fish bowl comes with two seams on the edges where the plastic was integrated together. The seams are very sleek and can hardly be noticed. It is definitely well-built, and it does not come with jagged edges that make it look cheap. By the look of it, it is precisely what you had hoped for in a less expensive plastic fish bowl.
Regardless, this mini bowl is prone to get stained that seems non-removable. And, it comes with an open top that makes the water evaporate instantly which means to say that you will need to refill the bowl with water more often.
- Manufactured using damage-resistant plastic material
- Useful as centerpieces and for crafting or decorating activities
- Certified solid and quite durable
- Serves as a pleasing adornment at home or at workplace
- Looks like a very clear glass
- Prone to getting stained that can’t be removed easily
- Comes with open top that makes water evaporate quickly
What to Look for When Buying a Fish Bowl
When it comes to getting the most suitable fish bowl for your fish, it is not good to rush the purchase. If you want high quality one and something that could last for years, then you’ve got to ponder on some valuable buying tips:
How much is the product?
When it comes to the price tag, do not merely focus on how cheap it is. Always consider if the quality is not compromised. Make it a habit to have a closer look at the material the product is made of and if it is built with superb craftsmanship. In the event you think that the price is too steep for your current budget, then it is better to set aside some more money till the funds are available to purchase the product.
Create a checklist of the necessary items that your fish bowl needs.
In reality, getting started in the aquarium hobby is not less expensive at all. A fish tank will require some vital equipment to make it operate the way it should be and to make it a safer haven for your pet fish. Make sure to consolidate all the other necessary items you need to buy too so that you can start setting up a new fish tank at once.
Besides, always check the fish tank accessories or items when shopping for them. Check for any signs of damage or malfunctioning issues.
What about the size of the fish bowl?
Before buying one, it makes sense to decide on the size of the fish tank that you’re getting. Whether you prefer a small or large one, the decision is yours. However, see to it to look into the other factors such as the type of fish you will keep, the number of fish that will dwell in the fish bowl, and the other live plants and aquarium decors you plan to add inside the tank.
Needless to say, if you intend to keep several fish inside the tank, then you need to ensure that the size of the tank is spacious enough for them to freely and comfortably move, play, swim and thrive. In short, you need to make certain that your fish won’t be suffocated.
What about the weight of the fish bowl?
In general, how light or heavy the fish tank is will determine if it will be safely placed on a desk, study table or if it will require a stand. Of course, the fish tank will be filled with water and other equipment. So, you also need to consider those factors when buying one.
Where do you plan to place the fish bowl?
As for the location of your mini aquarium, see to it keeps it away from any source of heat and direct sunlight. Also, do not place it nearby a spot where you have valuable items that should not get wet when replacing water and cleaning the tank.
What type of fish you’ll be keeping?
When shopping for a fish bowl, make sure that you think about what type of fish you will be keeping. If the type of fish you intend to keep has the tendency to grow really big, then it is senseless to get a small option. Also, contemplate if the fish is easy to take care of and if it is alright to add other fish of different species or if it is most suitable to keep it alone.
Overall, when first starting out, it is highly suggested to make a well-thought-of plan before you buy the fish bowl, fish and other equipment. In this manner, you will have a great opportunity to succeed.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is a fish bowl? How does it work?
Fish bowls especially require a considerable deal of maintenance and are actually slightly intricate to look after as compared to larger fish tanks. Generally speaking, you would prefer to change 50 by up to 100% of the water in your fish bowl or mini fish tank on a daily mode to ward off the tendency to cause danger to your fish tank.
In like manner, many fish keepers consider fish bowls as the other cheaper alternative to a larger aquarium. So long as it is properly taken care of, the fish bowl can be a very impressive accent to any residential area or workplace.
You won’t encounter any serious issues if you look after and maintain your fish bowl. For it to function accordingly, it is a must to replace the water every day. And, when feeding the fish, this must be done two times a day. See to it feed your pet fish with small amounts of food only. The reason why it is fundamental to change the water daily is that excess food debris will foul the fish bowl water and this could heighten the need to replace the water.
What are the different types of fish bowls?
Various forms of fish bowls come in literally any size and form. And, the most typical styles and forms consist of round styles that come with larger water volume capacity, the classic drum style that is broader from left to right that it is profound, from front to rear section.
By the same token, there are those that come with setups that include a filtration system and are generally much bigger as compared to the conventional fish bowl. There are also those that are set in frames that come with a little lighting system and these are specifically designed for bettas.
Apart from these, fish bowls also come in conventional sizes such as those that can hold half a gallon which is deemed as the smallest fish bowl you can ever encounter. There are those that could hold one gallon, one and a half gallon, two and three gallons.
Basically, one gallon fish bowl weighs about six lbs. when filled with water. The two gallon fish bowl weighs twelve lbs. and finally the three gallon fish bowl which is regarded as the biggest one weighs twenty lbs. and it is roughly eleven inches in height and comes with a width of ten inches.
They also come in different price ranges, and materials they are made of and there are those that come complete to make the set up process more plain sailing.
Why do you need a fish bowl? (Benefits)
Having fish bowls at home is not just to have a very stunning accent or addition in any spot at home or in the office. More than all these, they can offer a number of perks that could seriously improve a person’s quality of life:
- Keeping a fish bowl helps reduce stress; as a result, this is one way of combatting anxiety and depression since you can easily soothe your confused and exhausted body and mind.
- Owning a fish bowl can help improve your nurturing skills since you have live fish to take care of. This is also a good way of learning how to extend your patience because fish bowl care and maintenance is not a joke.
- Since you can keep yourself calm and relaxed, you can avoid high blood pressure and other ailments that could be linked to stress and fatigue.
- Putting a fish bowl on your office desk can help you to stay focused and not easily get tired; thus, you can increase your productivity.
- Fish keeping hobby introduced to children is beneficial in the sense that at an early age, you can teach your kids how to be responsible and caring human beings.
- Going home after a very long, monotonous and boring activity at school or at work can help you calm down and be stunned of a relaxing view. Not to mention, glancing at an ocean-like view can help you refocus and forget your personal issues for a while.
- Your simple-looking room or office desk can look livelier and more inviting if you have some live fish and aquatic plants thriving in a fish bowl. Rather than putting a lot of stuff that could only clutter your place or office desk, a fish bowl that contains colorful fish and decors inside can improve the mood in your home or workplace.
As you can see, while it could be true that fish keeping can be slightly costly and laborious, the benefits you can enjoy if you keep one are countless. In fact, these are considered priceless, so these outweigh the cons.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most suitable fish for small fish bowl?
Several fish species can thrive within a small aquarium bowl. Some common examples include bettas, guppies, and neon tetras. But my personal favorite would be bettas in small fish bowls.
After all, they aren’t known for getting along with other fish. So it doesn’t seem like a bright idea to purchase a large fish bowl or tank when having a betta. Instead, crafting a suitable and comfortable environment for this creature in a small fish bowl tank is much better.
But remember, stick with the standard guideline of 1 inch of fish per gallon. So if you have a 5-inch fish, don’t place it inside a 3-gallon tank. It’ll need at least a 5-gallon bowl to feel comfortable and remain healthy.
Can a fish live in a bowl without a filter?
Fish can survive and live in a bowl without a filter, but it’s not ideal. You’ll need certain specific situations and fish species to make this a viable option. For instance, the bowl will need a solid substrate base setup with various aquatic plants placed throughout it.
But again, this environment will only work with certain fish. A few common excellent fish for a bowl without filter setups would be betta fish and goldfish. In fact, I had a goldfish setup bowl without a filter recently filled with aquatic plants and substrate.
This setup allowed beneficial bacteria to grow without issue. From there, my goldfish was able to thrive in a healthy and comfortable environment.
How do I increase oxygen in a fish bowl?
At first, increasing oxygen inside your tabletop fish tank bowl could seem complex. But honestly, the entire process requires little effort on your part. All you need to do is scoop out some water from your tank, place it in a large container, and pour it back into the tank.
Once this process is done, it’ll increase the oxygen in the bowl by moving the surface water. It couldn’t be much simpler and represents a method I love using, especially with fish bowls. But ensure to repeat the process several times, as once won’t accomplish much oxygenation.
If done correctly, this method shouldn’t have any issues increasing oxygen in glass or plastic fish bowls with lids. Your fish will then enjoy a much more cozy and healthy lifestyle inside their home.
How much maintenance will my fish bowl need?
One mistake people make when getting a fish bowl for goldfish or other fish is assuming they require less maintenance. Sadly, this belief isn’t close to being true. Fish bowls require much more cleaning and similar tasks than a traditional tank.
The issue stems from most fish bowls lacking filtration. As a result, the bowl will collect significant amounts of fish waste. Owners must spend much more time cleaning it to create a suitable environment.
Most experts recommend changing out 50% or more of the water daily. It’ll help reduce the adverse effects caused by lacking any filtration inside the tank. Some owners attempt to counter this by using a fish bowl with plant on top of it.
But honestly, the plant will only reduce your required cleaning by a small margin. You’ll still need to make significant water changes, especially compared to what a regular tank requires. It’s why mini or small fish bowls are often seen as a last resort.
I’ve seen some other fish owners try to reduce cleaning needs by using alcohol or bleach, as well. Please don’t use them; it’ll only make the habitat more dangerous for your fish if you’re not careful.
Which is better: fish bowl or tank?
Fish tanks are a much more suitable option for fish than bowls. It simply comes down to them having an embedded filtration system and more space. Plus, owners won’t have to perform as much upkeep with tanks, which is always a winning trait for me.
But fish bowls do represent a suitable, inexpensive option when set up correctly. You can even equip them with a filter to help reduce the necessary cleaning. But again, it’s vital to ensure your fish bowl can meet the fish’s needs before using one.
What are the most trusted fish bowl brands?
Needless to say, choosing the most trusted brand is like picking the top-quality product. Obviously, the world’s most trusted fish bowl brands are renowned for top-quality manufacturing products that can ensure superior performance, long-lasting durability and aesthetic appeal.
This is why it really matters so much to conduct research first with regard to the most reputable brands when it comes to aquarium products. Basically, credible brands would certainly offer you the most top-rated products that would bring you more satisfaction in the end.
If it is your wish to get the real worth of your money when buying a fish bowl for your pet fish, then the following brands can be of big help to you:
- Koller Products
- Home Essentials
How to set up?
When setting up a fish bowl, consider the following techniques:
- The water temperature in a fish bowl should be that of room temperature since it does fish bowls generally do not come with a heater. Hence, it is not recommended to place the mini aquarium where it will receive direct heat from the sun or in a location where there is another heat source.
Bear in mind that tropical fish prefer warmer water than the average bowl could sustain. Whereas, Siamese fighting fish thrive in fish bowls so long as they can be kept at 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For approximately ten to fifteen minutes, float the bag that contains your new fish in the fish bowl. Then, put a balanced amount of water from the fish bowl into the plastic bag and allow floating for another ten minutes.
Afterward, lightly tip the bag and allow the fish to swim freely. It is not advised to purchase several fish or choose fish that are quite huge for the fish bowl. Always keep in mind that the fish waste is not processed and not disintegrated just like when it is in an aquarium.
- Rinse the new fish bowl thoroughly using warm water with salt on it. As much as possible, refrain from using bleach, glass cleaning agents or chemical-based soap because such cleaning agents could leave waste or debris that would risk the life of your fish bowl inhabitants.
- Thoroughly rinse all rock, gravel and other sorts of adornments and wash them till they become free of any excess dirt or dusky color.
- Put the gravel in the mini aquarium and make sure that you allow about one inch-deep gravel for every gallon of water.
- The water that you add should be that of a room temperature and only put an appropriate amount of water conditioner.
- Lastly, allow the bowl to stand for about one hour prior to adding the fish.
How to care & clean?
When cleaning a fish bowl, it is not suggested to use chemically-based cleaning agents as this could leave poisonous waste and could endanger the lives of your fish bowl dwellers.
More than that, when replacing fish bowl water, this must be performed on a daily basis if seriously needed, once per week or more often than this.
The water should look crystal clear. You will know right away that it is high time to replace the water when you could already notice that the waste is piling up at the bottom or if the fish bowl water becomes dusky.
Carefully net your fish into a dirt-free plastic bucket that comes with room temperature and conditioned water. See to it rinse the gravel, decors and the bowl thoroughly using warm water with salt on it. Then, gently add water that comes with room temperature and conditioned water to the newly cleaned fish bowl and then add the fish.
The location where you’re going to place the fish bowl must be away from any source of heat and direct sunlight.
When feeding the fish, see to it executes this two times per day only. It is not advised to over-feed your fish. Aside from the fact that over-feeding your fish can cause illness, the waste from the food can also make the fish bowl water unsafe for your mini aquarium occupants to dwell in.
Fundamentally, once you notice that some food leftovers are amassing on the fish bowl’s underneath section, or the fish bowl water starts to get cloudy, then this may indicate that it is high time to replace the water.
What is the warranty?
It is always advisable to opt for products that come with a warranty whether you purchase from local specialty fish or pet stores or online. The reason behind this is that warranties are your protection. In the event you get a malfunctioning or defective item, it is best if the manufacturer can address this concern and offer you some warranty that would protect your investment.
Luckily, all the fish bowl products reviewed in this post come with warranties that protect every customer. This means that in case any sort of issue emerges, you can always be backed up by the manufacturer’s warranty and can have your issues solved right away.
Where to buy?
It is delighting to note that various fish bowl products are not that difficult to look for at present. As a matter of fact, you can easily see them in local aquariums or fish/pet specialty stores in your area. Alternatively, another way of searching for more options is by shopping for them online. And, one of the top-tier online shopping sites where you can be provided with more excellent options to pick from is Amazon. Thanks to the emergence of the internet, shopping for fish bowl products is no longer so exhausting unlike in the past.
While shopping in local aquarium stores is good, shopping online can introduce you to numerous extraordinary brands and more outstanding features that could help make your fish keeping hobby a more elating experience that you can share with loved ones and friends. In Amazon, you can rest assured that this online shopping site will stand behind the customer in the event some issues take place.
In a nutshell, if you have a plan to look for the best fish bowl, keep in mind that there are innumerable factors to mull over. Interestingly, with the exhaustive product reviews and buying guides explored in this article, it would be a lot easier for everyone to discover which features should be considered if you seriously wish to end up buying the most suitable fish bowl for your pet fish and aquarium plants.
Reading comprehensive product reviews and delving into practical shopping tips can significantly help you compare various fish bowl products and, in doing so, you can set aside some money and adjust your budget so you can get the product of your choice, uncover which one best matches your requirements and which one could provide the most suitable environment for your most precious pet fish.
The truth is, conducting research before the shopping process is the top-tier technique to bear in mind. This is because once you are already armed with sufficient knowledge, you can rest assured that you won’t waste any single penny. Moreover, it is helpful to learn more about the most trusted fish bowl brands and manufacturers so that you can ensure that you are making a worthwhile investment that won’t leave you feeling disappointed in the future.