To boot, the most notable means to get rid of nitrate is by means of regular water changes. In addition, live plants will do wonders in freshwater aquariums while refugiums and protein skimmers will do a great job in saltwater tanks. Nonetheless, nitrate commonly persists and levels of nitrate as low as 5 ppm could result in the sprout of algae.
It is significant to note that nitrate could cause harm to invertebrates as well as fish, and there is a greater likelihood of the emergence of reproductive failures and various diseases if this is not managed well.
On that account, if nitrate persists, it is good news that the tank nitrate removers on this article can help you in keeping the levels of your nitrate quite manageable.
Choosing a freshwater nitrate remover can be overwhelming. But the process will become much easier if you understand the crucial buying factors. Here’s a little overview discussing some to provide a solid jumping-off point before starting your search:
- Brand: You must research each nitrate remover’s brand to ensure it’s trustworthy. After all, this product will have a massive role in keeping your fish healthy and safe. So I suggest looking into the ingredients and customers’ reviews before spending money.
- Ease of Use: Some nitrogen removers or nitrate lowering media can be challenging to use. So it’s crucial to read through the directions to ensure your chosen option won’t cause any hassles. Otherwise, you may regret your purchase. Some products only require being put in your filter, for instance.
- Type: Freshwater nitrate removers come in four varieties: water conditioner, nitrate sponge, nitrate pads, and nitrate tablets. You can make this process much simpler by identifying what one top-tier mesh with your needs.
Let us explore the best nitrate removers for freshwater which are carefully reviewed below to keep our fish safe and healthy!
Table of Contents
- Top-Tier Nitrate Remover For Freshwater Reviews
- What To Look For When Buying A Nitrate Remover For Freshwater
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top-Tier Nitrate Remover For Freshwater Reviews
1. API Nitra-Zorb Filter Media Pouch
Luckily, you no longer need to worry about the fish and other invertebrates living in your tank since there are countless of aquarium nitrate removal products that are ready for use these days. Just like Nitra-Zorb Filter Media Pouch, this can help you get rid of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites that are pestering your tank water in no time.
All you need to do is to add this to your filter and from there it will begin combatting nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. This product is made of synthetic and natural ion-exchange resins that scrupulously alleviate harmful toxins from freshwater aquariums.
Many consumers opt for this nitrate removal product because it is absolutely phosphate-free and it could be utilized after recharging.
The drawback of this product is that for the first few hours of use, the water will turn slightly cloudy, but, luckily this disappears after roughly 2 hours and the water will be turned to crystal clear.
After that, you will see nitrites and nitrates vanish completely. Also, it comes in a bigger size so it is not fit for smaller tanks. It would have been better if it comes with a smaller version too.
- Effectively works as a toxin remover
- Can do the nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia removal work done overnight
- The bags are rechargeable so you can use them repeatedly
- Good aid at maintaining clear water for a longer period of time
- Deemed as a less expensive, simple and safe solution for freshwater tanks toxins’ issues
- This pouch seems very large so it does not suitably fit into a filter chamber
- There is a tendency that the aquarium water will instantly cloud up into a pasty and acrid mess
2. Seachem Purigen
Would you like to seriously end your constant problems in terms of having high nitrates in the aquarium? Instead of wasting your energy, money and time buying and using the wrong products, then, why not give Seachem Purigen a try? Who knows, this might be the ideal solution you have been looking for.
This product is actually priced quite expensively. However, if you’re going to think deeper, it is definitely cost-effective since you can recharge it several times – as you can see, this makes the selling price much more controllable over the long run.
While it is true that we do not wish to end up spending more, still, you have to think twice and think of the benefits that you could reap once you purchase this brand. This product does not compromise quality, effectiveness, and reliability, in other words, you spend lavishly at first but you’ll enjoy the perks in the future.
- Comes with distinctive synthetic polymer
- It is certified regenerable
- Does a sterling job at regulating nitrates, nitrites and ammonia levels
- Considerably boosts redox
- Can be instantly renewed through treating with the aid of household bleach
- It is very costly to invest in
- Turns dark as it exhausts, so consider using fresh bleach to solve this issue
3. Algone Aquarium Nitrate Remover
Algone brand is one of the most popular nitrate removers for aquariums for many years now. Moreover, it comes with the capability to incorporate both natural and unnatural pollutants. In like manner, it does a great job at encouraging microbial activity. So, it is not surprising why it remains one of the top choices of smart consumers nowadays.
This product is an ideal solution for various tank problems since it could aid fix any nutrient imbalance and it is quite risk-free for all forms of fish, plants as well as other tank inhabitants. It works on both saltwater and freshwater aquariums.
Unlike other brands, Algone nitrate remover comes in the form of liquid, it also comes in packets that you could just instantly add to the filter of the aquarium- this makes it a lot easier and effective to use and a lot safer for your tank occupants.
- Capable of creating crystal-clear water
- Good at clearing, green, musky and cloudy water
- Safe to utilize for aquatic plants
- It can effectively work and show positive results in a matter of 48 hours, even though in other instances, it could take a week or 10 days
- Superb at bolstering the level of the dissolved oxygen content
- It is slightly costly. This makes it 3x pricier as the Aqueon
4. DrTim’s Aquatics 802 NP
Are you feeling tired of checking out which nitrate removing filter media is the right choice for your tank? Then, most likely DrTim’s Aquatics brand will best match your needs and preferences. This product is mainly utilized to alleviate the usual chemicals found in tap water which are considered as harmful to fish and other inhabitants in the tank.
Furthermore, chemicals like ammonia, chloramines, and chlorine are present in tap water to make the water safer for us to drink by combatting parasites, viruses, and bacteria.
Nevertheless, these same chemicals could also harm our fish reason why we need nitrate removers to clean our tap water prior to installing a new tank and executing regular water changes.
This product is excellent at shattering the chemical bonds that build chloramines, chlorine, and ammonia. Luckily, DrTim’s Aquatics brand does not come with strong sulfide odors.
This product is outstanding at consuming the waste in an aquarium. For its price, it is a bit costly but this makes it a worthy investment considering the benefits it could offer.
Interestingly, if you use this product consistently and with the aid of regular maintenance, you will delight in observing that algae issues are moderately going away.
- Topnotch at eliminating algae
- Does a wonderful job at controlling phosphates as well as nitrates
- A lot easier to utilize as compared to other available techniques of removing nitrates
- Superb at efficiently alleviating excess nutrients
- Known as an all-natural solution especially intended for all coral and fish types
- The pellets have the tendency to get stuck precisely if the reactor comes with a flow accelerator. Indeed, the pellets are too tiny for large reactors
- The pellets can also create an impartial amount of noise as they travel around the reactor
5. Tetra EasyBalance Water Conditioner
Are you searching for a liquid nitrate remover that could aid tremendously help eliminate the number of substances needed to keep your aquarium and tank occupants healthy? With the aid of this product, it will be more manageable for you to make your tank a lot easier to maintain and clean and at the same time make your fish healthier. This way, you are more likely to take pleasure in your hobby.
If you hope to solve issues with regards to having high nitrates in a fish tank, then it is a must to invest in a nitrate remover brand that comes with a multi-purpose feature. In so doing, you can certainly spend time happily watching your fish instead of trying to deal with issues with them.
- Created with easy to utilize a formula that is adept at regulating alkalinity and pH that are mainly helpful at eliminating phosphates and nitrates
- Can aid sustain healthy levels of valuable tank water chemistry that are required to keep tank occupants healthy and happy
- It does an amazing job at restoring vital electrolytes, minerals, and vitamins for ultimate aquarium health
- Helps in eliminating frequent water changes through keeping the tank water chemically and biologically balanced for about half a year if utilized on a regular basis
- Aids in keeping tank inhabitants healthy while at the same time make your job a lot more uncomplicated if utilized on a weekly basis
- The aquarium is cloudy for a little while; however, it clears up on its own after a few hours
- This product is not recommended to be utilized in tanks that come with low oxygen conditions
6. Seachem Denitrate
If you are looking for a safe and effective nitrate reducer, then this brand is for you! Truth is any nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and other types of organics could spell hazard for the fish and other invertebrates in the aquarium.
Fortunately, with Seachem Denitrate, you can finally end up with the perfect solution when it comes to keeping all those undesirable and harmful substances under control in your tank water.
Take into consideration that this especially requires low flow volume filtration which is less than 50 gallons per hour in order for it to function more effectively. The product is also reusable making it more economical.
What this product does is more on maintenance and keeping the levels of various substances under control, since it is evidently a moderate process you should not expect to solve the problem overnight. Likewise, it is not too efficient on heavily stocked aquariums.
- Known for having the capability to support extended biological filtration
- Ideal for freshwater and marine and very easy to use
- Adept at getting rid of ammonia, nitrates, nitrites as well as other organics
- It is safe to utilize and does not affect the aquarium’s normal operation
- This product is quite simple to hook up
- Since this requires a slow flow rate, you only need to expect a slight reduction of nitrate, ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium
- This is not the ideal option for you if you are searching for an instant fix
7. Kordon Amquel Water Conditioner
In order to solve your high nitrates in aquarium issues, you better invest in the best nitrate removers for freshwater brand that is safe, effective and reliable in eliminating ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites in your tank. To help you narrow down your choices, check out Kordon Amquel Plus Water Conditioner and see for yourself if this will best match your requirements and purposes.
Essentially, this product comes with a lot of favorable specifications. Apart from this, it is harmless to invertebrates, fishes and plants, as well as, other aquatic life forms. This is safe to utilize in ponds and tanks too.
It is engrossing to note that many consumers who have tried using this brand have happily attested that this is the most top-rated product for their tank and fish pond at a very reasonable price.
- Second to none when it comes to alleviating or detoxifying toxins
- Absolutely safe to utilize with other natural herbal fish medications and water conditioners
- Non-toxic and does not intervene with the advantageous nitrifying bacteria or their sources of food
- Capable of treating 60 gallons of water
- Does not affect the pH level of water
- Comes with a very strong odor at first; however, the smell vanishes once you add water to it
- It can cause white string and white clumps all over the aquarium but this eventually disappears on its own
8. Red Sea NO3:PO4-X Reducer
Do you want to invest in a superb aquarium nitrate remover? The Red Sea is a highly trusted brand that you can rely on. When using this product, see to it to start slow in terms of the dosage and moderately level up over a few weeks. Expect moderate progress when it comes to seeing positive results. Don’t buy it if you are aiming for fast results.
Basically, with the aid of this product, you will start seeing good growth, the corals are colored up wonderfully and no more algae to pester the fish and invertebrates in the tank. Take note that it is critical to utilize a skimmer with this product.
The bottle comes in a big size, but the good thing about this is that it comes with a measuring cup that is useful for both larger and smaller dosages hinging on the size of your aquarium.
- Easy to utilize and comes with superb value
- Highly recognized as one of the topnotch nitrate remover products for your freshwater aquarium
- Works in balance, as a result, nitrates only go down equal with phosphates
- Formulated by a highly-trusted manufacturer
- It comes with a strong smell of the aroma of vinegar or something that contains alcohol once unpackaged
- Its effectiveness may be significantly affected once instructions are not followed accordingly. Be careful with the dosage so as not to harm your fish and corals
What To Look For When Buying A Nitrate Remover For Freshwater
If you are searching for an effective and instant means to reduce the levels of nitrates in the tank, then your sole option is to invest in high quality nitrate removal products. Fundamentally, these are known for being the fastest working techniques that you could find, and these do not necessarily require you to clean up the entire aquarium.
Also, these nitrate removers are not dangerous to inhabitants inside the tank, so there is no need to worry on that aspect. In reality, these substances are specifically formulated to aid clear out the water and maintain the water’s clarity.
The good thing about nitrate removers is that they do not merely get rid of high nitrate levels, but they also aid in clearing the water from other common issues that could emerge in an aquarium.
When buying such products, make sure that you purchase the brand that is highly trusted and formulated by a reputable manufacturer. Likewise, review the contents and see if it is formulated with natural ingredients to ensure that your tank and fish remains healthy and safe.
So, if you end up utilizing nitrate removers, you need to be extra cautious since these are potent substances that could endanger the aquarium. Even though these are precisely formulated not to cause damage to any living creatures, these could still have side effects if you put and use them excessively.
This is the reason why it matters to carefully read the instructions and make sure to apply the product properly to prevent any future problems.
Once you try these products, you will certainly be satisfied with the outcomes since the water will be crystal clear in the shortest possible time. Moreover, when you’ve added the nitrate removers, it is highly advised to also add more live plants that could aid inhibit nitrate levels from rising repeatedly.
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is a nitrate remover for freshwater?
Nitrate remover for freshwater is especially formulated to solve high nitrate levels in tank water. This is commonly effective and safe to use and quite reliable at reducing levels of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia in an aquarium.
In addition, this product is capable of helping in the maintenance of healthy levels of significant aquarium water chemistry that are necessary to keep aquarium inhabitants healthier and happier.
Nitrate removers are deemed as one of the ideal solutions in keeping nitrate levels more manageable.
How does it work?
Nitrate removers work in the following ways:
- These are helpful in removing insoluble and soluble pollutants from water.
- Such products eliminate nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, protein and other wide array of organics.
- Nitrate removal products stimulate specific species of organic bacteria filter base that encourages useful bacteria colonies.
- They effectively work in conjunction with various filtration equipment as well as protein skimmer to increase their capability to break down or take off nitrates.
- They do a very tough job at filtering the water for nitrate removal.
What are the different types of nitrate removers?
Nitrate removers come in different forms and these are as follows:
- Water Conditioner (Liquid). This solution is meant to neutralize chloramines, chlorine and other heavy metals while at the same time safeguarding delicate membranes of the fish. This is recommended for saltwater and freshwater tanks.
- Nitrate Sponge. This product is capable of absorbing ammonia directly and promotes anaerobic growth of bacteria so to lessen the levels of bitrate in both freshwater and marine tanks.
- Nitrate pads. These are quite effective at reducing foreign debris, organic particles as well as excess water and food.
- Nitrate tablets. This goes a great help in lessening nitrate levels found in tanks and pond water in order to keep fish healthy and safe and also impede blanket weed from developing. This also aids in the oxygen intake of fish and minimizes the peril of various fish disease like brown-blood through simply regulating the levels of nitrate in the tank.
Why do you need a nitrate remover for freshwater?
In point of fact, high nitrate levels are particularly dangerous to young fish and fry and this could considerably affect their healthy and natural growth. Additionally, conditions that cause high nitrates commonly cause lowered oxygen levels, which further endangers the fish and other invertebrates. This is the clear reason why it is just right to keep the water in the tank clean and with low levels of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia.
Whether you are a professional aquarist or a newbie, one of the vital tools that you could utilize to keep your tank healthy and safe is a nitrate removal product. Essentially, when you fill your aquarium, you cannot solely utilize plain water since the elements that make it safe to drink for humans are not the same elements that will make the water applicable or drinkable for various fish and invertebrates.
While there are different conventional methods on how to keep the tank safe and clean, some of these may require ample amount of time to produce results and may not be as effective in reducing high levels of nitrates in the tank.
So, it is a better option to use nitrate removers and, in doing so, you can enjoy the following perks:
- Instantly reduce chloramine and chlorine
- Use a safe product for freshwater and marine tanks that are non-acidic and would not have adverse effects in the water’s pH level
- Be guaranteed with a method that could aid convert nitrate, nitrite and ammonia in a risk-free form that is easily eliminated by the bio filter of your aquarium
- Make your tank be detoxified from any heavy metals
- Sustain the clarity of the water in your tank
- Keep your fish and other tank’s occupants healthy, clean and safe
As you can see, nitrate removers do wonders in terms of neutralizing harsh chemicals and toxins in the water like heavy metals and chlorine. Relying on the type of nitrate removal product that you utilize, may truly help in forming a protective slime coating that is definitely advantageous for the fish.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my fish has nitrate poisoning?
Nitrate poisoning is a massive concern for anyone who has a fish tank. So it’s crucial to know the potential signs a fish may exhibit when suffering from it. Here’s a quick list to help you identify a nitrate spike in aquarium tanks and address it as quickly as possible:
- Appetite loss
- Rapid gill movement
- Noticeable color change
- Higher respiration rates
- Loss of equilibrium
- Gasping for air at the surface
Any combination of these symptoms is a severe cause of concern for fish owners. If you notice them, contact a vet and try to decrease your tank’s nitrate concentration. A good guideline would be maintaining your fish tank nitrate levels below ten ppm.
What is a good nitrate level for freshwater fish?
A good freshwater or reef tank nitrate level is less than ten ppm. In this condition, your fish will be healthy and comfortable without care or worry. I should also mention that most fish will do fine with water up to 20 ppm.
So it’s not a massive deal if you can’t control nitrate levels to less than ten ppm. Your fish will be fine within the ten ppm to 20 ppm range. When the levels go higher than this, you need to start thinking of nitrate reduction aquarium treatments.
Aside from the removers mentioned on our list, one more practical option would be Fluval Clearmax Chemical Filter Media. It does a solid job resetting an aquarium’s nitrate levels and solving nitrite and phosphate issues.
What is the fastest way to lower nitrates in freshwater aquariums?
Aquarium owners have several methods at their disposal to lower nitrates. Some use a conditioner or chemical to reduce nitrates in aquarium tanks. Others rely on a known nitrate remover plant for freshwater aquarium enclosures like Pothos plants.
I’ve even seen a few people utilize a complicated nitrate reactor freshwater device.
But the fastest way is with regular water changes. Of course, this process requires a lot more effort than utilizing a high-quality remover.
If you decide to use water changes, I’d recommend starting by reducing the tank’s water level to 20%. You then refill back up to 40% and reduce it again to 20%, which takes out a significant number of nitrates. Finally, repeat the reduction and refill the tank to 100%.
You’ll end up with 5% of the nitrates inside your tank compared to when you started. It’s quite a simple and effective way of significantly decreasing an aquarium’s nitrate levels.
How long does it take for nitrates to disappear?
Clearing out a tank of nitrates will take anywhere between two and six weeks. Of course, this process will depend on the aquarium’s size and other factors. But most hobbyists should expect some between this time frame to have their tank completely devoid of nitrates.
So it becomes essential to keep testing during this time with a nitrate detector. My preferred option would be Salifert Master Reef Testing Kit. It’ll have no problem updating you on the nitrate, alkalinity, magnesium, calcium, phosphate, and pH levels.
What is better for nitrate removal, API Nitra Zorb or Seachem Purigen?
One of the common debates among people using nitrate removers is Nitra Zorb vs Purigen. After all, both represent top options within this marketplace. So it makes sense why people compare the two.
In any case, I’ve found Seachem Purigen to be more effective for my particular needs. It’s much more convenient with its recharging ability and longevity. Plus, its performance at removing waste and nitrates is second to none.
But again, my preference doesn’t mean API Nitra Zorb is a lousy product. It wouldn’t have made my list if I wasn’t confident in its abilities as a nitrate remover. It suits most HOB filters and can remove ammonia as well.
What are the most popular nitrate removers for freshwater brands?
A few of the top-quality nitrate remover brands consist of the following:
- Seachem De-nitrate
This brand comes with high porosity that is especially adept at supporting the reproduction of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria that further eliminate these lethal tank byproducts.
This is great for reducing nitrite and ammonia and is quite efficient at removing nitrates which is also known as quite harmful at high levels.
- Algone Aquarium Water Clarifier and Nitrate Remover.
This is capable of creating and sustaining pristine water in the tank. It is good at clearing dusky and green water and is proven to be safe to use for aquatic plants too.
- Natural Nitrate Reducer Salt Water Conditioner
This brand is recognized for being advanced in bio-chemistry. It is capable of stimulating the natural denitrification process of transforming nitrate to nitrogen gas. Since it is found in nature, it aids in sustaining sound aquarium conditions.
- Tetra EasyBalance PLUS Water Conditioner
This product is a renowned brand for it is formulated with minerals and vitamins that could guarantee topmost aquarium health. It aids in regulating alkalinity as well as pH levels; therefore, it is good at minimizing phosphates and nitrates. There is no need to clean the tank water more often.
How to use nitrate removers?
Actually, using various nitrate removers come in different methods. Since there are various types of nitrate removal products available these days, these also come in varied ways on how to utilize them to ensure their effectiveness.
For you to ensure that they work more effectively, you need to carefully review their instructions which are included in the package once purchased. Please be reminded that the detailed instructions must be followed accordingly so that the right amount will be applied and to avoid causing any future problems.
Some products are in liquid, conditioner or tablet form, so make sure to put the recommended amount or dosage as instructed, on the other hand, some nitrate removal products come in pad or filter, so you need to follow the instructions on how to properly place them in the tank.
Take note that incorrect installation of pads or filters can minimize the effectiveness of the product.
How often do you use nitrate removers?
In order to keep the tank clean, safe and healthy for your aquarium inhabitants, it is important to regularly treat your tank or pond with nitrate removers.
However, there are a few reminders when using such products:
- Only apply the recommended amount or dosage. Please be guided that applying excess amount or dosage may cause more harm than treating the tank.
- Filters or pads may be used in the tank for a few months or as instructed. But, it is better to check them once in a while and see if they are still in good shape, otherwise, replace them.
- The frequency of use of nitrate removal products are often times indicated in the product’s label or instructions. See to it to check that prior using the product so you will be well-informed about the right usage.
How to lower nitrates in freshwater aquarium?
Nitrate poisoning takes place when fish are exposed to moderately increasing levels of nitrates over a certain period of time. This commonly emerges when periodic tank maintenance is not executed. In line with this, overstocking and overfeeding are substantial contributors to the increasing levels of nitrates. And, if proper steps are not performed to lessen nitrate levels, this could lead to fish death.
Likewise, when fish are abruptly exposed to very superior nitrate levels, they will typically perish within a day of exposure. Generally, owners are unaware of the problem till the fish are either dying or already dead. In cases like this, there is little that could be done to save the fish; however, realizing it could avoid further mishap prior the new fish are added to the aquarium.
More than that, even in cases of abrupt exposure to high levels of nitrates, it is probable to minimize the effect of the nitrates; hence, giving the fish a combating chance of survival. The solution here is to avert another abrupt change.
Superbly, nitrate levels in freshwater tank should be maintained below 20 mg/l. Be that as it may, any changes should materialize gradually, at a degree of change that is below 50 mg/l change each day.
Here are some guides on how to lower levels of nitrates in freshwater tanks:
- Conduct several small water changes. Administer a 5% water chance every 1 hour or 2, utilizing water that is deemed to contain low levels of nitrate. Keep repeating this till you have replaced roughly half of the volume of water in your tank.
This procedure will help considerably lessen the levels of nitrates; nevertheless, gradually enough to ward off the effects of abrupt changes on the fish.
After the final change, examine the water and observe how the amount of nitrate level has decreased.
- Minimize feeding. Note that if your fish are being overfed, their digestive process will add too much nitrate to the water. So, make it a point to feed just the adequate amount to keep the fish in good condition.
- Boost aeration. It is a must to increase the aeration in the aquarium because aquariums with superior level of nitrates are commonly low in oxygen. Avoid feeding the fish for a span of 24 hours, and afterward just mildly feed them till the tank stabilizes. At the time the nitrates have been cut down, it is critical to maintain the aquarium accordingly so to prevent another nitrate tragedy.
- Utilize nitrate-removing filter media. It is interesting to know that special filter media could be utilized if other procedures do not aid minimize high nitrate levels.
Where to buy nitrate removers?
Fortunately, maintaining the clarity of water, safety and health of your tank inhabitants is no longer a pain in the neck with the aid of countless of methods and nitrate removal products.
It is good news that nitrate removers can be found and purchased in various local fish or pet stores near you. Meanwhile, if you wish to do shopping online, you can also choose a number of available options via eBay, Amazon, Lowes and other trusted online stores nowadays.
Be reminded that it matters to conduct research first prior investing in a certain brand. In addition, it also make sense to ponder on the reason why you need to buy one, determine the current condition of your tank and the amount that you are willing to pay for a high quality nitrate removal product.
Right to it, owning a freshwater tank isn’t just a simple hobby that is filled with enjoyment. For a fact, this may be burdensome too particularly if you are not insightful about the proper care of tank water.
Luckily, you do not need to be a pro to keep your fish healthy and keep the water in your aquarium crystal-clear. With the aforementioned guides and the best nitrate removers for freshwater products reviews, you will absolutely be well-informed and well-guided on how to maintain your tank water in low nitrate levels. It is only then you can safely say that owning an aquarium is definitely a pleasure!